WR 450 starting problem

19 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted December 06, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Hey guys! I'm having a problem with my 05' WR450. A couple of months ago I was riding every weekend with 0 issues.

2 weeks ago after it had been sitting for a month I went outside and fired it up. It started right up with the choke on. It ran for a minute, then turned the choke off, and then it died. After it died it took over 100 kicks to get it going again! Once I got it going, I left the choke on until it was nice and hot it stayed running.

This happened again last weekend (1 week between rides). It started right up then died, then 100 kicks and it started again and warmed up with the choke on and only with the choke on.

Once the bike is warm it will start with the starter pretty quickly.

I'm jetted at 168 and have not changed this in over 2 years so I don't think it is the weather affecting this.

Can someone please tell me where to start looking? It is driving me crazy!!

Thanks ya'll! :worthy:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:38 AM

What's your pilot jet at?

It sounds like you are lean on the pilot. Try bumping it up to a 48.

• drtbk4ever

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:47 AM

What's your pilot jet at?

It sounds like you are lean on the pilot. Try bumping it up to a 48.

And if you are already at a 48 pilot jet, check to make sure it isn't plugged up a bit.

• gregwr450f

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:18 PM

check ya valves

• WaGuy78

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:55 PM

Valves were checked about 200 miles ago and were adjusted.

Never messed with the pilot jet, like I said the thing worked before it sat for a while. :worthy: :prof:

I'm just confused why it would run ok after it is warmed up. Just the initial starting is where it is having issues.

Any more ideas?

Thanks, you guys Rock! :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:07 PM

You answered your own question. It sat around for a while and gummed up the jets. It is a pain to clean them out if they are gummed up badly. You really need to shoot all the passages clean in your carb as well. Then put in a new sparky and you are back to running the way it used too.:worthy:

• clark4131

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:12 PM

You beat me to it Indy...SC

• WaGuy78

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Yeah that was my next step, to take off the carb and clean it out.

I'm curious why the problem would only occur when the bike is cold? Wouldn't a gummed up carb be affected whether hot or cold?

Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:35 PM

My friend's CRF acts the same way. His valves are too tight. I'd recommend rechecking them since this problem started after they were adjusted.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 06, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yeah that was my next step, to take off the carb and clean it out.

I'm curious why the problem would only occur when the bike is cold? Wouldn't a gummed up carb be affected whether hot or cold?

Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

Depends on the level of gum up...

Your bike needs more fuel when it's cold vs. being warm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:07 PM

One time while riding my bike was real hard to start. I had to start it and get a little speed with the choke on. I got home and cleaned the carb and found the pilot jet a little clogged. It doesn't take long now for gas to go bad. I can remember leaving gas in my bikes for six months at a time and no gummy residue.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:37 PM

I recently bought a brand new 06 450 and I have been starting it and running for at least 30 min before I go to class (college night class schedule) and it has no problem starting. I bought it exactly 1 week ago and I did not have time to run it on monday, first day of not running it, and it required a lot more to get it started. Granted it wasn't that bad but it was not as good as it was when I picked it up.

I have run the origional tank of gas from the dealer (located basically at the gas station where they had fresh fuel), and filled it with 93 pump gas and added 2oz of Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. Today when I tried starting it, it was still hard to start, and on top of that, when it was warm after about 20 min of riding around, I shut it off for a min, and when I tried starting it again, it took a long time with the button before it started. (About a good 5-6 sec)

I am thinking that it may be tight valves becuase it is brand new and haven't finished the break in yet. This valve train is new to me and I don't know and don't have the ability to adjust them, as I am new to engine work.

Whew, my posts get long fast, sorry about that.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:18 AM

Well you are missing the obvious change in weather the North east has had in a week.
Get a #70 starter jet for the choke circuit. Then she will start easy.:D
Your valves are good!:worthy:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I thought the valves were going to need adjusting at the break in service?

How do you access the starter jet? I don't know anything about the new bikes and accelerator pumps and stuff.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:18 AM

starter jet is right next to the main jet # 29 in this schematic.

Valves are usually OK for the first 1000 miles.

Posted Image

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted December 07, 2006 - 12:53 PM

it took over 100 kicks to get it going again!

100 kicks = tight valves!!! care to wager? :worthy:

• Fullbore4

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:02 PM

Indy........where'd you get that schematic.....its the clearest one I've seen yet and how can I get a copy?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Schematic is from from the sudco web site go to carb diagrams & select FCR-MX. :worthy:

http://www.sudco.com/

• WaGuy78

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:50 PM

100 kicks = tight valves!!! care to wager? :prof:

That may be the case, but why would that happen after sitting for a month? It was running fine before that. I'm hoping it's just the carb... Time will tell!

And Thanks for that Carb picture, that will help me this weekend! :worthy: :D

• drtbk4ever

Posted December 08, 2006 - 08:35 AM

That may be the case, but why would that happen after sitting for a month? It was running fine before that. I'm hoping it's just the carb... Time will tell!

And Thanks for that Carb picture, that will help me this weekend! :worthy: :D

Check out this thread from Arin. The step by step process WITH PHOTOS is worth its weight in gold. I was scared to death the first time I touched my carb, but the photos gave me some confidence. It helped me discover a plugged up pilot jet.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=309069

Let us know how it goes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.