Shark Fin Recommendation

18 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:41 PM

The shark fin I'm currently using just isn't holding up after a year of abuse racing in the So Cal desert. I've been looking at the Scotts, ZipTy, and FTD shark fins. Anyone have any input, good or bad, on any of these shark fins? The shark fin I have now gets bashed into the side of the rotor and I've had to replace one rotor already this year. I need a shark fin that can take an extended beating and hold up.

• Desracer

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Scotts! great fit and finish and tough!

• tony1970

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:12 PM

I have the Zip Ty model. I bought it slightly used off Ebay for about half price and I have been very happy with it. The pro over the Scotts unit is that the fin is replaceable if you ever really smash it bad or break it. The con over the Scotts is that it has no way of installing the stock caliper guard. I have no explanation on why Zip Ty did this. I know the stock caliper guard is plastic and will not do much but I was planning on running a Works Connection aluminum model. If you went with either the Scotts or the Zip Ty you are getting a quality piece of equipment.

• willy_fitz

Posted December 09, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I have the Scotts on my 03 WR and it has probably saved me some grief since we ride in the rocks when we go into northern Ontario Canada. Fit and finish is first rate.:worthy:

• Randy Nilles

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:08 PM

which shark fins fit on the '07? Are the part #'s the same from the '06 WR or maybe the '06 YZ since it was the first year of the alum frame:confused: I need help to get one on the new bike before I break something.:lol:

• tony1970

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:07 PM

Call Scotts or Zip Ty Racing and ask.

• prosports

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Msr part # 34 3088. , or look at the new tm designs one.

• MTrowbridge

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:19 PM

I use the ZipTy shark fin on my 05 WR. Works great so far, and was very clean and easy to install. The ZipTy people are great if you have to exchange anything. The Scotts folks sometimes aren't quite as flexible, in my experience. Both companies' products are very good though.

• SXP

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:43 AM

which shark fins fit on the '07? Are the part #'s the same from the '06 WR or maybe the '06 YZ since it was the first year of the alum frame:confused: I need help to get one on the new bike before I break something.:lol:

I have the Scotts on my 07. If I remember right it was $130.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 14, 2007 - 09:49 AM

if pro moto billet still makes the one i've got i'd say hands down the most indestructable thing i've ever seen! i've had it on 2 different bikes now for a total of 3 yrs and beleive me its been tested. i think the best part about it is that the rr mount is actually the axle spacer(they give you a new bracket) so instead of just relying on the caliper bracket its tied into the axle:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Looks like they still them!
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=810

• Seabass

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I went with the FTD shark fin set up.

• Randy Nilles

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:03 PM

Great information so far, but is the '05 and '06 swingarm and brackets the same through all these years for the WR? I just figured with the frame change they would have also changed the Swingarm too:thinking: .

• Birdy426

Posted January 15, 2007 - 10:05 PM

Another vote for the Pro Moto Billet fin. Looks great, and tough as nails.

• KTMKarl

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Pro moto billet!!!!! Get one in your hand and you'll see why! The greatness of the design doesn't come through in photos.

• Stinez

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Great information so far, but is the '05 and '06 swingarm and brackets the same through all these years for the WR? I just figured with the frame change they would have also changed the Swingarm too:thinking: .

The Scotts for the 05 is different than the 06. They lowered the caliper and spread the pins just enough to make it different.

Darn it!

:lol:

• ksrrider

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Zip-Ty with the axle block adjustures. It comes with a pin that goes through the adjuster into the sharkfin, and everthing stays put when removing the wheel. I've had two Scotts, Zip-ty is better IMO.

• budokaiboy

Posted May 30, 2007 - 07:49 PM

I have a Pro Moto Billet sharkfin for my Cannondale and it went on easily, unfortunately my Cdale is having fuel issues. I also wanted to add that if the Scotts sharkfins are made by the same folks as the people who make the goggles, they hooked me up with new roll-off goggles ($100) without any problems so I had a really good customer service experience with them.

Just my 2 cents

• custom-cruiser

Posted May 30, 2007 - 08:11 PM

I'm running this Moose. It is two piece with replaceable fin. So far so good
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.