2007 WR450 Test Article - First Ride

7 replies to this topic
  • MTrowbridge

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Yamaha took a bunch of journalists to Costa Rica to ride the 2007 WR450. Jimmy Lewis of Dirt Rider Magazine posted his article first on the magazine's website:

http://www.dirtrider..._yamaha_wr450f/

From the article, the bike sounds awesome! :worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:00 PM

You still feel that you are on a 450, but it is a lot more along the likes of the CRF and even more so the KTM in light feel. It is thin, feeling just the MX bike!

The engine is good ’ol WR - strong with its characteristic smooth and deliberate power. It has a very snappy and responsive bottom end that will light up the tire pretty easily, especially on clay, but will also torque down really good too.

Our bikes are running in fully uncorked, competition settings, unlike the corked up way that they are sold at the Yamaha dealer, but they are still extremely quiet. Only the smallest stuffer is removed from the muffler.

Sounds like Yamaha has a winner on their hands. :worthy: Now if Yamaha would just field a serious Baja effort so those 450x guys would shut their pieholes

• Seabass

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:46 PM

I'd say nice things too if Yamaha sent me to Costa Rica to test!:worthy:
But seriously, those are some encouraging words to hear. I hope the WR's do handle like a CRFX. I can't wait for the full report.

• TWILES

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I hope they don't dog the 05/06's any more. I'd like to sell mine in the spring. Hopefully the dealerships will sell them for MSRP. That might help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:03 PM

I hope they don't dog the 05/06's any more. I'd like to sell mine in the spring. Hopefully the dealerships will sell them for MSRP. That might help.

All the reports I read on the '05/'06's were pretty good!

• clark4131

Posted December 06, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Where in the article did they "dog" the '05/'06? I saw where they said the new bike was an improvement, but where did they say the previous models were pieces of :worthy: in comparison? Of course they improved the bike, duh! But it doesn't take away from the fact that the previous incarnations were and continue to be good/great bikes. The concept of implication vs. inferrence readily springs to my mind, and I didn't think the review implied anything but positives, but I'm sure Yamaha corporate will gladly reap the benefit of the public's inferrence. Nice bike, and good for Yamaha...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Clark is right. The mags have been hard on Yamaha on the WR450's over the years. But the mags don't live in the real world and the WR450 motor is the most reliable workhorse of all the available 4 stroke enduro bikes on the market!:D :prof: :bonk: You wont see the mags do long term tests with 10,000 miles in 2 years of riding and report back reliability and maintainence. :worthy: Their idea of a long term reliability tests is 50 hours of running. Hell I can do that in a week!:cry:

• RC81

Posted December 07, 2006 - 11:45 PM

If anything brings the price down it will be the advent of F.I. next year or two. Then prices for used 05/06/07 WRs (as well as all other makes) will drop. Everyone wants the latest and greatest!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.