Can a new WR bought new be titled for street?

21 replies to this topic
  • bparker

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Just curious as I am looking for a motard but would love to have a WR as I am trying to be true to blue - but I must say i am very disappointed they didnt make one in supermoto dressings this year.

:worthy:

• baha

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:32 AM

Posted Image
Why yes you can do it.Posted Imagean do it.
And it is as fun as it looks!

• bparker

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Holy cow that thang is sexah!

I know this topic is beat to death but i only see people trying to plate them after the fact of purchase.

So, I am wondering if it is easier to plate it when you first buy it - apparently yes! WHOOHOO!

Ok, next - what did the black excels set you back? Did you use your oem hubs and what not?

/wood

• mtndirtrider

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:10 PM

Hey man that scoot looks very cool. All though from the picture of the left side of the bike I noticed you still have that air smog crap still on it. There is a kit to remove it and any back fires you have will go away dude . But still NICE bike ... good job man!!

• TWILES

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:13 PM

They screwed up on mine at the courthouse. I got a plate and didn't want it.

• mtrablue

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:46 PM

every state is different. in missouri, they consider it a new vehicle and will give you a two year plate if you register it within 30 days of purchase (like a new car). they will not do this with a used bike at resale. ask the guys at the shop or find someone with a plate on a wr.

• baha

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:54 PM

Plated the day I bought it brand new, dealer did this and sold it new as a plated bike!

I keep it stock as far as ASI to keep it legal. Let it Pop- it's legal!!
Rims are Sun. Procycle.net did them and yes I had them laced to OEM hubs. Speedo and GPS are 1 mph apart. great thing about OEM hubs and digital speedo.
Boysen accelerator pump, JD Jet, Evo X. as well as 15/42 gearing make it a great street machine. Avon Distanzias allow true Dual Sport capabilitys

• bullybull9

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:07 AM

My certificate of origin states,,, notice this vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways, such use is prohibited by law.

HOW DO YOU GET AROUND THIS.

• bullybull9

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:08 AM

Oh and by the way that street leagal one looks sweet

• Jackazz

Posted December 07, 2006 - 03:23 PM

My certificate of origin states,,, notice this vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways, such use is prohibited by law.

HOW DO YOU GET AROUND THIS.

In Missouri, you just tell the people at the DMV you want a plate. I guess they just don't care.:worthy:

Looking back on it, I should have gotten a plate for mine, but I never intended to ride it on the road anyway.

I would think that if you allready own the bike, or bought it used that a simple state safety inspection & proof of insurance should be all you need (along with your title, of course) to get plated... Unless of course you live in the great republic of Kalifornia.:D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baha

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Unless of course you live in the great republic of Kalifornia.:D

:ride: That's a California plated WR. Street sign says Pope Valley and Ink grade, That is a great back road of Napa County. Got up to the 70's today with Sunshine and still had fall foliage :worthy: How do ya like that Jack:rolleyes: :prof: :bonk: :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:40 AM

:ride: That's a California plated WR. Street sign says Pope Valley and Ink grade, That is a great back road of Napa County. Got up to the 70's today with Sunshine and still had fall foliage :worthy: How do ya like that Jack:rolleyes: :prof: :bonk: :cry:

Easy chief, I was refering to the colored sticker fiasco & the PITA that most poor SOB's have to endure to get a plate on their bike, or even ride it in certain areas at certain times of the year. Then there's all the crap the factories have to add to our m/c's & the de-tuning they have to do so that our bikes aren't "killing the earth". Nevermind the endless amounts of smog that's pumped out of the millions of cars on the road, or thousands of commercial passenger jets that take off everyday... They're going to save the enviroment by making motorcycles "green" :D

Good on you for getting yours on the road, sounds like you were lucky in having such an easy time of it.

How do you like the WR as a motard for regular street / back-road duty? I kinda miss my old KTM, but gave up on street riding for awhile, just too many blind ba$tard$ driving around in their gargantuan SUV's not paying attention to anything for me.

Here's a pic of my 'ol girl...

Posted Image

• MountainMax

Posted December 08, 2006 - 08:43 AM

you can get around that sticker that says off road only, because stock it is not street legal, but after you put tires and a Dual sport kit, it now passes laws (escept the steel gas tank one but they let this one go) and your dealer should be able to work with the DMV to get er plated.I just called my dealer up (next town) and told him i had a DS kit on my bike and he went over to DMV (motor registration in canada) and picked up my plate and mailed it to me, SWEET

• J_DOGG

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:52 AM

From my personal experience - Dealers do not want to deal with making your dirt bike street legal. They want to sell you the bike and be done with it. In fact after a little bit of research I knew more about the process than the so called expert ninja master paperwork lady that worked at the dealer ship. Her jaw literally dropped to the floor when I showed up looking for my inspection sticker only two weeks after I picked up the WR450. She still never paid me the $100 I bet her when I was loading it in my trailer on the day of delivery.

I basically walked in to my town hall with the Blue slip that says "not for street use" on it and asked to register the bike. All they asked my was how many cylinders it was, I assume so they could charge me accordingly. Now all I do is keep the registration current and they will never need to see the blue slip again.

Every state is different I live in NH the "Live Free or Die" state so it's all good up here.

ossidog 15/42 gearing, what is your tope speed at? I'm interested since the companies are all tryn to push the 44 rear on me.

• baha

Posted December 08, 2006 - 05:54 PM

I have had it to 96, I think I could have got more but Mr CHP is always around, That was also at 1200 feet. I don;t really have a spot I can just open it and see how far it will climb. At 55 I usually kick it down to fourth gear if I want any snap at all. Top gear 65 mph is a easy cruise.

I meant that to be funny Jack- no problem. I do not like cars near me and ride out in the back county roads, great bike for it!

This is not a routine transportation bike. I would have gone to a 650 Husky-Burg- or 525 KTM for that.

This WR was bought for dirt and plated to avoid all the green/red crap. I never really liked it in the dirt and it is way to hot here for single track in the summer. So I bought the wheel set for the summer. After I rode it with 17 inches on it I bought a YZ 250. WR's are made for 17 inch rims. A friend rode it and said "Now I know what it feels like to be a fighter pilot" All of this was not a master plan; it was more of a more money then brains type of thing. My greatest mistake!

• Poway1464

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I was able to plate my 2003 WR450 in AZ, just added the basics (horn, mirror, brake switch and signals) and $70. I live in California but my son goes to school in AZ and so we have an address. Pretty easy. I now have a plated D/S. I did this mainly for the offroad areas that require a plate in California.

• ProCycle

Posted December 10, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Rims are Sun. Procycle.net did them and yes I had them laced to OEM hubs. Avon Distanzias allow true Dual Sport capabilitys

That should be www.procycle.us

• baha

Posted December 10, 2006 - 04:47 PM

That should be www.procycle.us

I stand corrected :worthy:

• ProCycle

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hey Ossidog,

Glad to see the WR is still looking so great!
How are the Distanzias holding up?

• baha

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hey Ossidog,

Glad to see the WR is still looking so great!
How are the Distanzias holding up?

The entire set up just kicks.

Back it in-ya right, Sticks like glue. I have had my feet on the pegs and my foot hitting the ground more then once. Everybody whom has rode it just smiles and says nothing they have ever "ridden turns like that"

Just plain fun.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.