WR426 for baja?

10 replies to this topic
  • baja4lif3

Posted December 05, 2006 - 03:56 PM

What mods would you guys do to a 01 WR426 to make it baja ready. I want a pipe and maybe cam mod. It is stock with excel rims, and a trail tech computer, and 4 gallon IMS tank. What is the bast Exhaust to run on it?

• Humunn

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:09 PM

You don't have to worry about a pipe or cam mod (unless you want to) but do get good tires (I recommend the Maxxis Desert IT, HD tubes, and slime). That and some cash and you are dialed!

• jonova

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:02 AM

baja4lif3 - I ride about 2500 miles a year down there on a 426. And they do just fine, you don't need to get a pipe. But if you see fit to get one I have been really happy with my FMF TI4, or something like that.

Run 14/46 for all around conditions. It is just fine in the single track stuff (a little tall) and it will still let you do 90 or so in the faster stuff. Get your tool pack in order and definitely some HD tubes.

I also recommend running a Pirelli MT 18HD. I have never gotten a flat with that tire even when I have raced down there.....Knock on wood.:worthy:

Get the Unibiker radiator braces too. When you crash you don't want to break a radiator..... Jose and Pablo don't usually have spare radiators.

• Seabass

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I ride in Baja three to four times a year on a WR 450 and a couple of guys that I go with have 426's. You don't need to do any motor mods or a pipe. Spend your money on things that will improve the durability of your bike. Spend it on things like skid plates, shark fins rad guards etc. Definately go with a bigger gas tank, Brigbestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, hand guards, and regear for higher sustained speeds. Also, don't forget to buy spare levers, nuts & bolts, shifter.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Seabass has it right, I would include a large camelback, GPS, have the valve lash checked and make sure the bike feels right, you'll be on it for a long long time. I average about 1500 miles a year in the desert on an 01 WR426. I use a YZ exhaust and a 14\48 gearing, average about 110 miles on stock WR tank. Only broke down one time in the four years riding it, sucked in a valve.

Drink alot of water the night before, enjoy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:02 PM

New tires, Slime in the heavy duty tubes. the farther south you go the more critical this is.

• thecraw

Posted December 08, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Never used Slime before (no cactus here)...

But, I am curious how much for the front and rear. I too am leaving from Denver in a week to Baja and would love to know how much to put in these new heavy duty tubes...

Thanks!

• GCannon

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Try this http://www.slimeseal.../moto/index.php this should keep you busy for at least five minutes. Have a great ride. Post a few pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.

• Koko Azuela

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:15 AM

What mods would you guys do to a 01 WR426 to make it baja ready. I want a pipe and maybe cam mod. It is stock with excel rims, and a trail tech computer, and 4 gallon IMS tank. What is the bast Exhaust to run on it?

Forget the cam and pipe, with that money get a steering stabilizer!!

• Seabass

Posted December 12, 2006 - 02:42 PM

I almost forgot one of the best improvements for Baja. If you have enough time get a GUTS tall'soft seat foam kit. No monkey butt since I swapped out the stock seat foam.

• Humunn

Posted December 12, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Forget the cam and pipe, with that money get a steering stabilizer!!

I second that!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.