WR 400 motard converison

8 replies to this topic
  • rickmancc

Posted December 05, 2006 - 02:51 PM

here is the deal, I have a 200 wr 400 that I will be motarding out this winter. Has anyone on the forum done this? First I need to buy the rims. Any suggestion on the best brand and where the best deal is? Would you suggest to get the rims and spokes and use the stock hub or buy the whole rim?
Rick:confused: :worthy:

• rickmancc

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:33 PM

• CSS9961

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:11 AM

I have no firsthand experience, but I am thinking about motarding my '07 WR450, as it is easy to get them plated in Colorado. I would keep my stock rims ready for dirt, and have a full set for the street.

Here is a cool link I found. Just do some searches and see what prices are out there, I guess.

• racejmac

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:58 AM

I would go with new wheels... That way you can still play in the dirt if you want to...

Sun rims or Excell... Buchanon makes heavy duty spokes...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bartonmd

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:05 AM

You'll probably get more traffic on a SUMO subject if you post it on the supermotojunkie.com forum...

I'm just getting into it, but it seems like a VERY cool place!

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 07, 2006 - 12:18 PM

TT's supermoto section will answer all your questions.

• Stranglersfan

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:40 PM

here is the deal, I have a 200 wr 400 that I will be motarding out this winter. Has anyone on the forum done this? First I need to buy the rims. Any suggestion on the best brand and where the best deal is? Would you suggest to get the rims and spokes and use the stock hub or buy the whole rim?
Rick:confused: :D

Hi Rick, if i were you i would go for the complete rims as the guys suggested. This will effectively give you 2 bikes to play with, one for the street and one for offroad when you want some "dirty" fun aswell. You can have a combination of wheels/tyres/sprockets/chain/front rotor for each type of riding you want to do as swapping them over is just a matter of minutes. the only "tricky" part would be on the front end braking, as you have 3 choices.
1: you can either use your existing caliper and rotor which would require you to swap the rotor over when you changed wheels.
2: use your existing caliper with an oversized 320mm rotor with a caliper bracket which would give increased braking.
3: use a 320mm rotor and a new 4 pot caliper matched to fit your fork leg without the need to use a bracket.

now as far as cost goes for having a motard front braking system....

1: cheapest method but least effective for both stopping power and hassle involved swapping parts.
2: most versatile in both money saving/parts swapping and would only require you to purchase a new 320mm rotor. most motarders start with this method but then decide on the full upgrade (number 3)
3: to get the full benefit of increased braking with the oversize rotor it really benefits from the 4 pot caliper and also looks the dogs danglies... but this is by far the most expensive method but the one i would recommend as it is money well spent once you feel the response from the front brakes.

you can use your existing master cylinder as it is quite sufficient to deliver adequate fluid to whatever setup you decide on, but to have the "ultimate" front brake setup, then the inclusion of a radial master cylinder and stainless steel braided lines would be the icing on the cake for the best front brake setup possible, but for that setup you'd need to have a very nice bank manager i'm afraid as it works out pretty expensive. well to us poor guys here in the U.K it does! you guys have much more options of suppliers and availabilty of parts and a heck of a lot cheaper too.....

have a look at my garage and the pics of my Street-Tard. she was once a dirty old 02 WR426 that had done many an Enduro and after spending a lot of time/money on her she now resembles an 05 Hurricane.

You too can convert your baby into something similar it's not impossible, just do it one stage at a time and the first part is to get hold of some rims. i would highly recommend Excel rims with Talon hubs and if you search ebay, there's always some for sale, pretty reasonable prices too as buying brand new can be expensive...

once you've got the rims/braking sorted and she "looks" like a Motard, then it's time for the suspension.......... but that's for another day, as i say, one stage at a time and you'll get there eventually. it's all dependant on Mullah, $,£'s etc... if moneys no object, then gather the info of what's required then spend,spend,spend and get everything all at once and have fun in the garage on the conversion....

i am in no way held accountable for any advice given should it affect your relationship with your partner as time spent in the garage can be lengthy and can contribute to jealousy from the other-half as too much time spent on the motorcycle can be detrimental to the peace and harmony within ones household.

(tip) they ALL love flowers once in a while! :prof:

now that's enough writing for one night, i need to get some serious smoking done!!!!
Steve :worthy:

• Crapster

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:29 PM

this is my project log from converting a new wr450 to motard

pic ?

Posted Image

• hozhead

Posted May 20, 2007 - 08:34 PM

I'm converting a 2000 WR400 myself.
I grabbed as set of Excel Rims w/ Talon hubs (bought used on supermotojunkie.com) rather than using my stock hubs so that I've not got two bikes.
I'll be getting a 320mm rotor and caliper bracket some day soon but I'm using the stock brakes for now and its working out just fine for general street use.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.