Hard to start cold

5 replies to this topic
  • tomb1957

Posted December 05, 2006 - 11:10 AM

My 98 xr6 is a pain to start when the weather is cold. Once it warms up, no problems. I'm thinking maybe I need to change the pilot jet. Elevation 2500 feet. Stock engine supertrapp exhaust. Any suggestions on jet size. I'm pretty sure the stater is good.

• cleonard

Posted December 05, 2006 - 11:31 AM

A larger pilot will really help. I'm pretty sure that I have a 68 in mine. I had to remove my choke plate because it was just about to break and get sucked into the engine. I can still start down to 55 or so. Any colder and I have to tip the bike over to flood it some.

• Owyhee

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:35 AM

I feel your pain. My 600 will not start if the temp is below freezing and it has been on the trailer on the highway. I can kick and kick and kick and all it makes is a quick farting noise and dies.

I've tried: carb full, carb empty, carb half full, all three choke settings with all three carb fuel levels, engine dry, engine flooded, engine kinda flooded, kicking and swearing, kicking and not swearing, waving my fist in the air, and crying. Nothing helps.

Like yours, the bike is a one-kick starter when warm, but the cold just kills it. The only reliable way to start the bike is a 3rd gear bump-start (I can't roll it in 2nd, I only weigh 145lbs). When rolling I make sure to keep the compression release pulled and the kill switch engaged for 15-20 feet before releasing. It's important to make sure the bike starts on the first roll because it's a long push back up to the top of the hill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 44jeep

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:47 PM

One of the things I do is raise the idle speed by turning the Idle screw in a couple of cranks and don't twist the throttle. It still takes a few kicks but it usually works.

• frankstr

Posted December 07, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk,44jeep....:worthy:

• tomb1957

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the replys, I changed the pilot jet to a 64 from a 58. I was able to start the bike fairly easy but the temperature was around 60. I also bought a 68 pilot just in case. I have not done the air box mod, so I thought the 68 might be too rich.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.