Barnums Pro Dual Exhaust Xr650r

11 replies to this topic
  • TriFire

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hello again..

I ordered a big gun exhaust about 4 days ago but i canceled my order because i heard they where not very well made. I wanted a XR's only complete system but then found out they where imposible to deal with and incompetent. I know that FMF is a real nice exhaust but i dont want a totally no sounding XR if you know what i meen, has any one tryed BARNUMS PRO exhaust??

Add some photo's of my BRP :worthy:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• pburke

Posted December 05, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I know that FMF is a real nice exhaust but i dont want a totally no sounding XR if you know what i meen,

not sure what you're after, but the FMF Q is pretty loud when you turn the throttle past 30% - enough for my neighbors to keep turning their heads.

If you want to piss off the Forest Service guy in the woods, yeah, it just won't cut it for that, but it sure sounds a lot nicer than the stock exhaust.

Got mine in the heated "shop" right now - exhaust is not part of the winter upgrade plans:

Posted Image

• TriFire

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Nice set up you got there pburke, ic you painted your side covers. I want to make my XR look like the 1984 XR500 with yellow side covers and blue seat, do you know who makes custom seat covers with what you want writen on them???

pburke does the FMF come with a sound killing insert you can open up and remove??

• TriFire

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:50 PM

example

Posted Image

• hill5150

Posted December 05, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Yes, get one..., I had the Xr's only system, it's gone now....went w/ the dual wraparound...... just got mine back a month ago from Rob, 680 motor ,edelbrock, stage II cam ,revalved, ceramic coated header, and can bike is ridiculous fast................

http://img.photobuck...xr6fiddy005.jpg

• BWB63

Posted December 05, 2006 - 03:26 PM

I see the HRC kit, yes, this exhaust will help! Or the Moriwaki they are both free flowing exhaust but, with a little different personality

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PIP RC51

Posted December 06, 2006 - 03:25 AM

Hell with the pipe.............. NICE PORSCHE, that is my dream car, 911 Turbo:thumbsup:

XR650R, Porsche 911 Turbo---:worthy:

I did read that the FMF pipes are built very well.

PIP

• pburke

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Nice set up you got there pburke, ic you painted your side covers. I want to make my XR look like the 1984 XR500 with yellow side covers and blue seat, do you know who makes custom seat covers with what you want writen on them???

pburke does the FMF come with a sound killing insert you can open up and remove??

There are plenty of custom seat manufacturers, but I don't think you'll get your XR printing from them. You should probably look for a printing place that can put your logo on the vinyl you want to use first.

I tried to remove the rear insert but once you take the rear cover plate off, things were ot very willing to let me get in deeper. The screws in there were super tight and I didn't really feel like breaking anything. I'll just get a second exhaust for competition use (Baja '08) when I get around to it. Meanwhile I have more important upgrades to address.

painted side covers are fine until you start dropping the bike - schedule a repainting every season at least

• willnevergrowup

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:20 AM

There are plenty of custom seat manufacturers, but I don't think you'll get your XR printing from them. You should probably look for a printing place that can put your logo on the vinyl you want to use first.

I tried to remove the rear insert but once you take the rear cover plate off, things were ot very willing to let me get in deeper. The screws in there were super tight and I didn't really feel like breaking anything. I'll just get a second exhaust for competition use (Baja '08) when I get around to it. Meanwhile I have more important upgrades to address.

painted side covers are fine until you start dropping the bike - schedule a repainting every season at least

You know Mr. Burke if you didn't fall so much you wouldn't have the problem with the side covers!!!:worthy: :D

Elmer out

• motomonte

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM

If you have the same problem as I do (the bikes falls asleep while ridding...)try putting some kind of sliders on the panels to keep em from getting all scrapped up.here's what I did:
[url]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/motomonte/2006_0401Image0022.jpg
[url]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/motomonte/2006_0401Image0021.jpg

• motopsycho650

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:26 PM

I'm not sure about the exhaust, nor have I ridden a bike with the full HRC power-up kit. But Man, you need to cut out the side panel over the air filter.

My pig's just got the HRC uncorking parts in it, but I could not believe the power gain from the cut out side panel. XR's Only has a pre-made one in white or black of $100, but I cut out my stock panel. I had to re-jet from 168 main/68S pilot to 170 main/70 pilot just because of the added airflow, and I live in CO where we don't have much air to begin with.

• Naru

Posted December 09, 2006 - 08:54 PM

To answer your question, I have Barnum's wrap around exhaust (2 actually).

The exhaust is a good exhaust if you are looking for a unit with oversized headers. I've also owned the Moriwaki exhaust (now discontinued) and the Big Gun unit among others, which deliver comperable power gains to the barnums (in other words, sacrafice some bottom end for mid to top, and really come alive with engine work). However, if nothing else the Barnums unit looks absolutely amazing on the bike; I get compliments all of the time. Also, the design of the can is top notch and far more sturdy than the other 'usual suspects' such as FMF and PC. I'll post a picture or two as soon as I get my bike back on sunday (it's currently on display at the Long Beach int. motorcycle show this weekend). I have my unit wrapped with header wrap and covered with anti-heat black primer.

However, I should note that normally I don't run the exhaust (it only has a few rides on it) because it's a straight pipe and brings the ire of the neighbors. Lately I've been running an FMF Q for that reason, which robs some power but saves me from tickets. So, if you are in a sound-sensitive area, beware.

If your still looking for one, I've finally just gotten around to cleaning out my garage and both units (one brand new and the other with low low hours and heat wrapping) will be up for sale in the next few days among some other parts.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.