07 YZ450F shifting problems

5 replies to this topic
  • joeinalpine

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:56 AM

The shifter is not butter smooth like I had hoped. It is clumsy going from 1st to 2nd. Will it eventually get smoother or is this how the 450's shift??

Can I move the shifter down a few clicks to get more leverage with my boot or am I asking for trouble doing this?:worthy: :D

• JohnnyOfast

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:14 AM

I moved my shifter down, but thats cause I had Thor 50/50 boots on, with regular mx boots I regreted it and will move it back.

Mine shifted kinda rough too, so I changed the oil right away after only about a 1/2 hour break in ride. Glad I did, it looked like a crappy milk shake in there, can't believe that came out of a new bike. :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:30 PM

Notchy shifting going over neutral is a YZF tradition. They get a little better with age, generally. Moving the shifter is what a lot of guys do. The risk is in getting it so low that you kick it out of gear unintentionally. Try it and see what you like. Sometimes it just comes down to retraining yourself a little, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Glad I did, it looked like a crappy milk shake in there, can't believe that came out of a new bike. :worthy:

milk shake that's kinda scary !!!
mine was black after 2 hr break in ride.

i had to move my shifter down. little rough shifting but no different than my 01 WR. but i hope it will get better with age.

• Monster04

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:08 PM

My 04 was the same but it loosend up after about 10hrs

• cappy79

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:51 AM

neutral is a little notchy but mine shifts fine other than that, my 2 cents. I'm thinking about a 10mm shorter shift lever (less leverage but better position on my foot, which is attached to about 200lbs of force:thumbsup: )
Cappy 79

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.