12 replies to this topic
  • DockingPilot

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:19 AM

My current setup:
De-smogged
WB E2
De-Snorkeled
Uni filter
Dyna Jet kit installed using the 165 main, but I also changed out the pilot to a #55. Works very good.
However, Im just wondering as good as this is, would the Daves carb mod method perform definitively even better ? Forget cost differance.
ONLY IF YOU KNOW DEFINITIVLY.........

• goblin127

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I started out with the DJ kit then added the 55 pilot with good results but I wanted better,so I did the Daves mods and I feel they were better than the DJ kit. It just seemed to have better quicker response,maybe it was the drilled slide. I still wasn't completely happy so I wen't with the XRs only mikuni flatslide and never looked back. Just the fact that it starts that much easier is enough for me,but it runs better also.

• cleonard

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:44 AM

The dyna jet kit is just jets, nothing magic there. Who makes them does not matter.

Dave's mods consist of changing the jets, but also drilling the slide. It that drilling that helps the throttle response.

The one thing that the dynajet kit may have is a richer needle. Dave's mod shims the needle to get a richening effect. If the dynajet kit has a needle, perhaps the best is the kit and a drilled slide.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:05 AM

The DJ needle probably only works well with a DJ jet.
The needle has a very odd taper (more like a step) whereas the stock needle has an appropriate taper.

The DJ taper was a half-ssed way to richen the carb at part throttle without including a pilot jet.

Dave

• DockingPilot

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Dave, ok then does your procedure have a much better result then ? Cuz, Im gonna have to taker her off again if I do it.
Thanks,
Frank

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Dave All The Way, My Friends Xlr Has The Dyna Kit & A Supertrapp, Mine Has Dave Mods & An E Series, Both Pull Hard Wide Open, Mine Feel Better When Part Throttle Cruising, Plus It Is Cheaper

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DockingPilot

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:58 PM

I said screw the cost factor. Just the performance is all Im interested in. If the the DJ is say a 5 on 1-10 scale, where would the DM come in ? Thats a good way of putting it.

Any other noticable diff between yours and your freind with the DJ kit ?
Starting, idleing, power delivery, hesitation ? Stuff like that.
Thanks

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:26 PM

like i said, mine feels better when your at a part throttle cruise, it is definatly more responsive. let us know how the dyna jet works out
i think my bike just runs right, better

• DockingPilot

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:18 AM

OK, Thanks. Its installed already but I added a 55 pilot to the mix. The front whell lofts in 1st and with some cokesing in 2nd a little. I have the 14t up front too though.

• Boston Mangler

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:06 AM

The dyna jet kit is just jets, nothing magic there. Who makes them does not matter.

:worthy:

The DJ kit comes with a softer spring that gives the same effect as drilling the slide, it lets it return quicker!

I have run both and wont go back to "Daves Mods" now that i got my DJ kit in!

Its noticeably better all around with the DJ kit!

The ONE downside of the DJ kit, is that you are correct in their jets work with THEIR needle and not the stocker. For me, this is no problem, my bike is where its at and will be staying there. For people with a lot of mods to their motor it may be a problem!

:D

• HawkGT

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:46 AM

It's Dynojet people, not dynajet. :worthy:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Drilling the slide made a much bigger difference for me than the dyno spring.

Dave

• pgiinc

Posted December 06, 2006 - 09:09 AM

Dave Mod Work Sgreat

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.