Handguards or Levers??

25 replies to this topic
  • joeinalpine

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Debating over handguards or unbreakable levers. I have a new YZ450F and have gone through a couple clutch and brake levers in the last month. Any chance the handguards could catch your hand as your laying down the bike??

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:17 PM

The one thing I can say for certain is to do one or the other. I use ASV C5 levers on my bikes. I bought them from ASV's eBay store, where they sell factory refurbs with the same warranty as a new part. They have stopped the problem of broken levers.

I feel constrained by hand guards, too, but I've never really ridden much with them. They have the potential to cause injuries by trapping the hands when you go over the bars, or by preventing you from "re-acquiring" the handlebars if your hands get knocked free, that I can see (or if you let go of them on purpose. This happened to Travis Pastrana).

But they will prevent the levers, the clutch in particular, from being closed on your fingers nut-cracker style in a crash, too, so it's sort of your choice.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 04, 2006 - 11:40 PM

I think the type of riding you do will dictate what you should use to a point, i.e., if you single track through brushy areas or thick woods then get handguards for sure. Also, if you ride in cold and/or wet/muddy conditions then handguards act a great windbreak and mud deflector for your hands. Mine are always on.

I have never had my hands get caught up in the guards in a crash nor have I ever had trouble getting an errant hand back on the bars because of them. That's not to say that it can't happen though...I guess anything is possible but I have never seen or heard of that happening.

If I were doing inverted superman seat grabs then I would not use handguards.

ASV's are great levers...I use them also, even with my handguards. And as Professor Gray says, use one or the other!

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Trail riding I would go with hand guards. Since I ride track 99%, I use ASV C5 like GrayRacer however I didn't have to pay for mine.

• ausgeflippt13

Posted December 05, 2006 - 12:20 PM

If you're mostly motox, stick to unbreakable levers. If you like to do some trail riding and such, I'd invest in a set of bark busters (tougher than your typical plastic handguards).

• Ranger18

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:38 PM

I had asv's on my old cr250, then when I picked up my old crf450 I put Hand guards on. Now I have my 06 yzf450 I went back to the asv's. I would recomend the asv's over hand guards.

• joshb

Posted December 05, 2006 - 04:44 PM

I have a brand new never used ASV F1 clutch lever with thumb hotstart for sale. PM me if interested.

• skipperlantz

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:20 PM

I would recommend hand guards if your ride off-road. I know when I don't have them the brush really beats up my hands. I always ride with them, bark buster style and never know they are there. For track, I don't recomend them as highly as I have been taken down when my bars locked with someone elses. Asv's work very well.

• torqueme

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Ditto to what the experts are sating here. the only thing i will add is if you ride tight trails like i do get some bark busters. those little sapplings hurt a lot at speed, even if your asv levers don't break. i use bare moose bb - without plastic covers

• WRider250

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:22 PM

What i like about the handguards is if your not goin over the bars, just tippin or goin off the side, you can hold on even when you dig the bars under, and you wont stall, you can keep it running easier, thats my personal thought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:46 PM

... if you ride tight trails like i do get some bark busters. those little sapplings hurt a lot at speed, ...

It's the "little saplings" that have been broken off at the same place for 8 years and have a 3" trunk in behind their lovely delicate foliage that are the worst. :worthy:

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:09 PM

I ride more woods than MX anymore, but I can't make myself buy bark busters. I've always used the cheap UFO roost guards (not the wrap arounds). For some reason I can't get myself to bite the bullet and put bark busters on.

I guess if I had to get one or the other I would buy the folding levers. :worthy:

• GixRider

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Gray, thanks for the hint on ASV ebay store. Smoking prices...

I ride single track for the most part but use Alpinestars mesh glove made for sportbike riders instead of handguards. The carbon fiber knuckle protectors really seem to save my hands and they last longer than traditional gloves.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:48 PM

What i like about the handguards is if your not goin over the bars, just tippin or goin off the side, you can hold on even when you dig the bars under, and you wont stall, you can keep it running easier, thats my personal thought.

That's what I meant. :worthy:

But they will prevent the levers, the clutch in particular, from being closed on your fingers nut-cracker style in a crash, too, so it's sort of your choice.

• felix 222

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:31 PM

the gaurds are a good idea if you are riding in the forest

• cappy79

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I have both on my bike, need the Acerbis roost guards because of track position ,usually behind someone's roost:foul: This is the first time I have used ASV's but a very nice product ( I'm going to do my best to not try their unbreakable feature:ride: )
Cappy79

• TexN343

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Teflon tape under the perch will keep you from breaking levers. When you hit the ground hard the whole thing will spin and you can knock it back in to place when you get up.

• husqvarnarider

Posted December 06, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I use the Moose BB and ASV clutch lever. I use the plastic shields in the winter as well. It's nice to be able to push through the tight stuff without having your clutch or front brake pushed in by saplings. I only run the ASV clutch lever, because it's so hard to ride out of the woods with no clutch. I have had it for 5 years, and countless spills, without a failure. Just got the BB but love them so far.

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Teflon tape under the perch will keep you from breaking levers. When you hit the ground hard the whole thing will spin and you can knock it back in to place when you get up.

That won't prevent the ends from being curled up or broken off when dropped straight down. ASV's will.

• TexN343

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Wow just looked these up I may have to get one of these. In two years it pays for itself plus a 5year warrantee! http://www.motorcycl...x?ArticleID=178
I would still leave my teflon tape on so I don't risk breaking the perch. I find it funny he broke his only a few days into ownership.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.