YZ450F gearing/acceleration compared to WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:54 PM

I currently have a 2004 WR450F which I absolutely love on trails but I´ve been riding a supercross track which is close to my home in Mazatlan, Mexico and am bottoming out my suspension really easy. I know I´m too heavy for the stock setup anyway at 185 lbs without gear on so I´m trying to decide between revalving + heavier springs or trading my WR for a YZ. What I´m curious about is how the YZ is on trails with the shorter ratio gearing? I love my WR and it doesn´t feel heavy too me at all but it is my first dirt bike so I have nothing to compare it to. I´ll always ride 2/3 trails and 1/3 track so Í need your help figuring out if I´m better off riding my WR on track with proper suspension setup or riding YZ on trails. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

• tnl

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:59 PM

I think a YZ is more flexable than a Wr is? The best answer is to buy a YZ for mx riding and a WR for trails? If your pockets are able to afford it?

• kylwk1500

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Sure the wr is designed for trail riding from yamaha, but i ride my 06 yz on the trails alot, and can outperform many trail bikes. (you do have to ride at a little faster pace usually). If you set it up right with a few mods it will dominate.

• Wasabi

Posted December 05, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Sure the wr is designed for trail riding from yamaha, but i ride my 06 yz on the trails alot, and can outperform many trail bikes. (you do have to ride at a little faster pace usually). If you set it up right with a few mods it will dominate.

Yes, I believe this too. The WR is getting way too soft, even for the trails.....

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:25 PM

185 is actually within the range of rider weights the bike was sprung for. It's at the top of the range, but within it, nevertheless. The problem is really more the fact that the WR was not intended for MX or SX, and so, does do it as well as it could. You'd need to run the spring rates and damping up to YZ levels to get that out of it.

• red7

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:24 PM

So if an equally setup WR and YZF were to race from a dead stop how would the race go down off the line, to 30mph, 60, top speed? Not having ridden a YZF I just have no idea what to expect. I know my WR tops out at around 100 mph but I never hit that on trails. What is the top speed of a YZ? A lot of the trails are tight where we´re keeping under 50 mph and I know the lighter YZ would handle better in the tight turns but then there are areas where we open it up a bit maybe up to 65-70. Is a YZ faster off the line and up to what point? When I ride with a friend who has a 250 two stroke I feel like my WR just has so much more power with possibly an exception off the line but it could be riding styles as I never know if he´s nailing the throttle like I do. If the WR would dominate a YZ on the trails then I probably should just get it revalved and deal with the heavier bike on the track. If the YZ would dominate on the trail up to a certain speed I´d have to take a serious look at trading out the WR.

If I knew I´d ride mostly track it wouldn´t even be a question but I know I´ll still ride more trails then track. However, I can´t even touch the track until I get my WR suspension setup as it´s just way too soft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrmoto

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:30 PM

I don't think it's a question of "domination". Both bikes can be ridden very fast on the trail. Because of higher gearing and a lower flywheel weight, if you decide to go with the YZ, be aware that you'll need to ride it faster and more agressively than a WR. Plunking down the trail won't work well with a YZ.

• TexN343

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I raced my yz450 in cross country races because it is lighter and top speed is barely ever reached. My yz tops out at low 80s the way I have it geared now plus I can lug it in the slow stuff because of an auto-clutch. The suspension is what really got me when choosing yz over wr.If you look at the GNCC all the top riders ride 2strokes because of the weight. If you have the money you could always put a wr tranny in the yz and have the best of both worlds. Or the other way around get some hot cams and better suspension for the wr and shed as much weight as you can.

• red7

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:35 PM

I don't think it's a question of "domination". Both bikes can be ridden very fast on the trail. Because of higher gearing and a lower flywheel weight, if you decide to go with the YZ, be aware that you'll need to ride it faster and more agressively than a WR. Plunking down the trail won't work well with a YZ.

Can you explain more of what you mean about riding faster and more aggressively than on my WR? Do you mean at higher RPMs or actual speed? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm a newbie. That being said, I like to ride aggressively and can hang with guys who've ridden quite a bit longer than me. This is a tough call as in searching I'm finding so many threads where guys are are equally passionate about both bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 08:23 AM

Actual speed. The YZ450 has excellent low end power, but because of the close ratio trans and a higher ratio first gear, it isn't as comfortable as the WR at very low speeds. Once you get to 15 mph, there's not much difference, and you can "plunk down the trail" as well as anyone. You just have to plunk a little faster, that's all.

At speeds around 5-10mph, you'll notice that the YZ will need more clutch work to stay moving, and you'll need to keep the revs a little higher and watch more closely to avoid stalling due to the lack of flywheel weight (even with an added weight) compared to the WR. At speeds below that, there's not that much difference other than the WR will be harder to stall.

• YZFRydn

Posted December 07, 2006 - 03:37 PM

I currently have a 2004 WR450F which I absolutely love on trails but I´ve been riding a supercross track which is close to my home in Mazatlan, Mexico and am bottoming out my suspension really easy. I know I´m too heavy for the stock setup anyway at 185 lbs without gear on so I´m trying to decide between revalving + heavier springs or trading my WR for a YZ. What I´m curious about is how the YZ is on trails with the shorter ratio gearing? I love my WR and it doesn´t feel heavy too me at all but it is my first dirt bike so I have nothing to compare it to. I´ll always ride 2/3 trails and 1/3 track so Í need your help figuring out if I´m better off riding my WR on track with proper suspension setup or riding YZ on trails. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

You can easily ride a YZ out on the trails. I was on an '04 and I rode it mostly out in the California deserts and didn't have any problem keeping up with any of the WR's or KTMs. You won't be doing 100+ most likely so you shouldn't have a problem. I got mine up to 87 out at Lake El Mirage. The WR is a tractor going up hills though which is nice. It has quite a bit of power as well so it all comes down to whether you will be doing more Baja style riding out on the trails or more technical stuff...

• red7

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:52 PM

The trails are mixed but there is a lot of baja style wide open stuff which is a blast on my WR. What makes this decision even more difficult is in searching threads, I've come across people wanting to trade out there YZF for a WR. I'm wondering how much bikes change from year to year and if a year or two down the road they might bridge the gap more making a lighter WR or wide ratio geared YZF. That is one thing that makes me question if I shouldn't hold on to my WR for a year or two, become a better rider and then get a new bike if they come out with the perfect (or as close to perfect as possible) compromise track/trail bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.