3 replies to this topic
  • drichardson42

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:35 PM

ok, i have a honda 400ex 4 wheeler, i bought it from a guy that put a yz400 motor in it.. he says he put a 426 sleeve in it then put a 444 big bore kit.. the bike is hard to get started. he told me to put a yz450f decompression cam in it, and it would help... is thisa true? would it run better/worse? what do you reccomend doing? any performance add ons to get easy cheap power?

• mxchamps

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:39 PM

wow. That sounds bastardized. The older YZ400's were tough to start in the first place. I would start by checking your valves for proper clearence. When mine got off it wouldn't start unless I pull started it. The cam will make it easier to kick, but you might have other problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I hate it when people call there quads a "bike." :worthy:

Yes, a 450 cam will probably help you. There is a huge thread at the top of this forum that has all the answers to your questions.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 05, 2006 - 02:45 PM

The cam will help with starting,but mostly what will help will be getting the carb right.

Keep an eye on the counterbalancer cam drive keyway. They liked to eat the keystock. The OEM key is a tad too short to begin with also. Just an FYI.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.