Regreasing the rear suspension '06 650L

8 replies to this topic
  • Jawmail

Posted December 04, 2006 - 01:19 PM

How hard is it to do. I will do it sometime this winter but the manual is confusing.

• Garth Knight

Posted December 04, 2006 - 01:27 PM

There is a good "how to" in the technical forum, its not for the xr650 but you'll get the idea. Only difference is maybe? your needle bearings will be caged instead of the loose type.

http://www.thumperta...788#post1669788

• pigryder

Posted December 04, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Its only difficult if you find a grease gun hard to use :D The lower linkage has zerk fittings so just pump her full of the good stuff :worthy:

• cleonard

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Its only difficult if you find a grease gun hard to use :D The lower linkage has zerk fittings so just pump her full of the good stuff :worthy:

I think that the original poster was talking about taking it apart, cleaning, and re-greasing it. Not just the simple act of pumping in some more grease. While pumping some more in is a good idea it is not the same as taking it apart and regreasing. When pumping it in it takes the path of least resistance. Most of the old stuff stays in the bearings. The only way to get it out is to disassemble.

Taking it apart is not too hard. Just watch out because most of the needles are uncaged and will fall out. For me the hardest parts are getting the lower shock mounting bolt loose and then removing the shock. Other than that it's pretty easy. It's not just the swing arm, do the dogbone and link too. Just take your time and make sure to get everything totally spotless clean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I think that the original poster was talking about taking it apart, cleaning, and re-greasing it. Not just the simple act of pumping in some more grease. While pumping some more in is a good idea it is not the same as taking it apart and regreasing. When pumping it in it takes the path of least resistance. Most of the old stuff stays in the bearings. The only way to get it out is to disassemble.

Taking it apart is not too hard. Just watch out because most of the needles are uncaged and will fall out. For me the hardest parts are getting the lower shock mounting bolt loose and then removing the shock. Other than that it's pretty easy. It's not just the swing arm, do the dogbone and link too. Just take your time and make sure to get everything totally spotless clean.

Dude I take my R down to the frame twice a year.....do you honestly think the L linkage wouldnt last forever even if you only pump grease in it :worthy:

• cleonard

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Dude I take my R down to the frame twice a year.....do you honestly think the L linkage wouldnt last forever even if you only pump grease in it :worthy:

I don't know, but the swingarm/linkage on my 600 is very close to the one in the 650L. A few years ago I stripped mine down and the bearings on the dogbone were wasted. I got the bike second hand in 2000 so I have no idea what the previous owner did, but I sure pumped grease in at a regular interval.

• Owyhee

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:39 PM

I'm in the middle of taking apart and regreasing the linkage on my 600.

I need to get a socket to get the swingarm off (23mm?) and a larger hex driver for the upper linkage pivot.

Here's my status so far:

Posted Image

Regreasing the linkage is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's not terrible.

I use my zerks every other month. The bearings in the dogbone had nice fresh green grease. No dirt, no water, so greaseboogers. The bearings are uncaged but the grease keeps everything packed together.

"O"

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:07 AM

The swingarm pivot on the L comes with almost no grease on it.
You can take it apart and grease it while its good, or replace it in 2 yrs and grease it then.

Dave

• jbird710

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Pumping grease in those zerks is at best a band-aid. Pull it apart, clean everything, re-grease, and reassemble. You'll never have problems doing it this way. One helpful thing to do is use a Sharpie marker and number each place with bearings. Put the number on the side the head of the bolt is on and put the same number on that bolt head. Lay out a shop rag and put the numbers on pieces of paper. Put the loose bearings, pins, caps, and bolts next to their number on the paper. This way, you can pull it all apart, clean everything, and then know where everything goes when reassembling. You can do each bearing individually but it takes more time.:worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.