Help me learn somethin about XR 600 Engines...

10 replies to this topic
  • SClay

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:54 AM

New member, first off, Hi to you all. I have a few questions that I wanted to see if i could get some help on. I'm working on a project and had a few questions/pictures requests about the XR600 engine.

Firstly, I wanted to see if anyone had any decent pictures of where the mounting points for the engine are? I've been trying to search the 'net but to no avail, I want to see where they are located, as it's going into a frame that will need mounts fabbed up, but I want to see what kind of work I have ahead of me.

And what sort of ignition system do the engines run? I'm not really partial on year range for the 600 (Don't know if there is a difference in years), but I'd like to get the most modern engine setup I could, but with staying air cooled (those 650 engines are pricey!).

Sorry if these seem like really simple things to know, but I honestly know nothing about the XR's and their engines, and I'm just trying to learn some things ahead of time so I can plan out the rest of my project. Thanks for any help you folks can send my way.

Regards,
Steve

• frankstr

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:27 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, SClay.....:worthy:

:D :prof:

• bork

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:51 AM

where in Fl are you?

• SClay

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Orlando, east side of Orlando. Thanks for the welcome!

Steve

• sorenlaf

Posted December 04, 2006 - 11:44 AM

New member, first off, Hi to you all. I have a few questions that I wanted to see if i could get some help on. I'm working on a project and had a few questions/pictures requests about the XR600 engine.

Firstly, I wanted to see if anyone had any decent pictures of where the mounting points for the engine are? I've been trying to search the 'net but to no avail, I want to see where they are located, as it's going into a frame that will need mounts fabbed up, but I want to see what kind of work I have ahead of me.

--snip

Regards,
Steve

I think you're in luck.

My XR is still in a box, so...

What do you need? Pic's of the frame or engine?

I can do both, though the engine will be a lot less work - it's on the floor, frame is in the rafters.

Let me know what you want. Be detailed. Direction of view, need a tape in the pic?

I believe the bike and engine are both an '89, but it's got a later swing arm (disk brake), so I make no promises.

--Soren

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_RON

Posted December 04, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Ok,want to learn something? Im still riding my 86 XR600 and needless to say,its still strong as a muh fuh.I had the motor totally gone through,top end job and port,polish etc, and the suspension re-valved back in 92 If memory serves me right,by XRs only before the place went to hell in a hand basket,I really miss riding in San Diego at the 805 and Palm ave.the trails went on for ever,I lived at 1560 coronado ave. for a while,thats where my CR250 got ganked from,dam where does time go?

• SClay

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the help folks! Anybody have any info on the ignition system? I'm thinking it probably has a digital ignition with a CDI box right? Sound about right?

Steve

• cleonard

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the help folks! Anybody have any info on the ignition system? I'm thinking it probably has a digital ignition with a CDI box right? Sound about right?

Steve

DOn't know it it's "digital" but it is an electronic advance type. There are 2 coils at the stator. One is a lighting coil and the other is the high voltage source for the CDI. The pulse/trigger coil is on the other side of the crank. The system consists of the two coils inside the engine, the CDI box and the spark coil. On my 600 the CDI is mounted near the airbox and the spark coil is above the spark plug.

• TriFire

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I think you're in luck.

My XR is still in a box, so...

What do you need? Pic's of the frame or engine?

I can do both, though the engine will be a lot less work - it's on the floor, frame is in the rafters.

Let me know what you want. Be detailed. Direction of view, need a tape in the pic?

I believe the bike and engine are both an '89, but it's got a later swing arm (disk brake), so I make no promises.

--Soren

Go to http://servicehonda.com/ and click spair parts, there are loads of diagrams on the whole bike itself, good luck

• bork

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Sclay, I sent you a P.M.

• SClay

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:49 AM

On a relatively related side note, I'm going to need an XR600, to buy. What I need is all the running gear, I would ideally like to hear it run before purchase, but I don't really NEED anything else, but if the engine is still bolted into the frame, all the better to transport everything. But forks/swingarm/frame condition, I have no use for it. So maybe one that was wrecked or something or another. I'm willing to pick up through most of FL, but I'll also pay for shipping if need be.

I tried to find a "Wanted to Buy" section on this site, but to no avail. Any one know of any good sites to look for what I need?

Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.