servicing bearings

10 replies to this topic
  • specialk6r

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I've read all of the back-posts on lubing the swingarm linkage, but how often do you mess with the wheel bearings? I recall them being sealed. Are these a "run em' till they fail" item?

Also, I didn't find anything dealing with the bearings on the actual shock. Any advice here is appreciated.

And for replacement bearings, is there an online bearing supply company that might have some cheaper ones for the linkages? I wish the previous owner had maintained these better. You could go broke even putting aftermarket ones in there.

• pkcof

Posted December 04, 2006 - 12:02 AM

wheel bearings - just replace them once they're worn ... around $18 Australian for a replacement, pretty cheap really (just did mine on my '05 @ 4,790 klm)

• waynus

Posted December 04, 2006 - 12:15 AM

Wheel bearings are cheap to replace but it doesn't hurt to help the ones you got to last longer by carefully prising the seal with the smallest screwdriver that you've got and rearrange the grease in there or add a little more and pop the seal back on.
Can't help ya with the suspension beariings, just get a size and ring around. I know you can get non genuine kits which'll be just as good seeing as Yammy don't make their own bearings anyway

• tnl

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I've read all of the back-posts on lubing the swingarm linkage, but how often do you mess with the wheel bearings? I recall them being sealed. Are these a "run em' till they fail" item?

Also, I didn't find anything dealing with the bearings on the actual shock. Any advice here is appreciated.

And for replacement bearings, is there an online bearing supply company that might have some cheaper ones for the linkages? I wish the previous owner had maintained these better. You could go broke even putting aftermarket ones in there.

I don't believe that there are any bearings in the rear shock? I just brought mine to a suspension shop and had them do a service on it for $80. It included servicing the oil, checking the nitrogen psi on the gas chamber and inspecting and cleaning the rubber stops/bumpers. Here's a link to the shop that I used if you want to learn about suspension servicing? http://www.paloverdemx.com/

Also, I would find the stamped numbers or serial info. on the wheel bearings and call around locally to find a bearing company that could give you some input on replacements that aren't poor quality. Good luck!

• onecolumbyte

Posted December 05, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I second tnl. If you want good bearings and great prices don't go searching for "motorcycle wheel bearings". Take 'em down to a bearing shop and they'll sell you exact replacements (just not use specific) for way less $$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Paul

Posted December 09, 2006 - 03:58 PM

There is a bearing on the bottom rear shock on my 05. It was the only bearing on the rear suspension that was in good shape.

Paul

• 1rkcooper

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:59 PM

Pivot Works and All Balls have excellent bearing / seal kits to replace OEM products for all of your needs and the cost isn't that bad iether. You should replace your bearings and seals at the same time to keep them lasting longer.

• specialk6r

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:20 AM

Pivot Works prices seem insane to me. And for everyone thinking they're getting what they paid for, where do you think Pivot Works gets their bearings? From the same manufacturers that you can by from directly at a fraction of the cost. Same deal as Yamaha oil seals costing $12 when you get get the same one at NAPA for $2. The motorcycle companies make a lot of money by simply knowing what they have and what you need.

• DirtyDude

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:39 AM

Pivot Works and All Balls have excellent bearing / seal kits to replace OEM products for all of your needs and the cost isn't that bad iether. You should replace your bearings and seals at the same time to keep them lasting longer.

I just replaced all the bearings on my swingarm, link, rocker, and shock on my 04 WR450F. I used all Pivot Works kits. I rode for 4 days in lots of water, so I disassembled when I got home to see how all looked. All fine except for the Linkage.. I found that the rollers in the (Pivot Works) bearings were about 2mm shorter than OEM, which caused the short flanged collar to fall off of the rollers and get gouged up against the bearing cage. The bearings/seals/collars need to be replaced again! I called Pivot Works and he said "yeah, bearing tolerances. I'll send you another kit." That's about an 8% difference in roller length, which seems like quite a bit to chalk up to "tolerances". I may just buy OEM parts and sell the replacement Pivot Works kit... The link and swingarm both use full-length sleeves in their bearings, and not the uneven-length flanged collars like on the rocker, so non-OEM is probably okay for them. However, I think I must recommend OEM for the rocker from now on...

• creeky

Posted August 28, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Wheel bearings are cheap to replace but it doesn't hurt to help the ones you got to last longer by carefully prising the seal with the smallest screwdriver that you've got and rearrange the grease in there or add a little more and pop the seal back on.

+1 on this! I have been doing this for a number of years. I make sure to get replacement bearings that have seals on both sides. I pop off the seals with a pocket knife blade, clean out all of the factory grease and replace it with wheel bearing grease made specifically for boat trailers used in salt water environments, Lubrimatic and CRC are good brands. My wheel bearings last a long time.

• beaver83

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:57 AM

to my knowledge Pivot Works is aware that sometimes human error plays a role in their products, (whether it be in engineering, QC, or packaging) that is why they are always willing to help with diagnosing the problem (so they can help you, and try to catch problems that may occur on their part). also that is why they are willing to send replacement parts and/or kits.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.