Help Me Mount My New Vapor

16 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys, I wanted a tachometer for my bike and you guys recommended buying a vapor speedo/temp guage/tach all in one, It just arrived, i removed the old one and put it for sale here in the classified section. Now for the fun, trying to find a place to mount it. Have any of you guys installed one yet? It comes with a very flimsy plastic mount that attaches to two size handlebars but it don't look good there, I was toying around making up some aluminum brackets in different places but nothing seems right, I even tried to put it in the stock location but the front brake hose is then in the way, and i have raised and forward handlebar brackets which seems to make it more difficult. Any ideas???????

• SID013

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hey guys, I wanted a tachometer for my bike and you guys recommended buying a vapor speedo/temp guage/tach all in one, It just arrived, i removed the old one and put it for sale here in the classified section. Now for the fun, trying to find a place to mount it. Have any of you guys installed one yet? It comes with a very flimsy plastic mount that attaches to two size handlebars but it don't look good there, I was toying around making up some aluminum brackets in different places but nothing seems right, I even tried to put it in the stock location but the front brake hose is then in the way, and i have raised and forward handlebar brackets which seems to make it more difficult. Any ideas???????

Hi Max, I mounted the old style Endurance to my old TTR600 & used their billet bracket which mounts to the front two handlebar clamp bolts. It looks real trick but is a bit expensive. Link to it http://www.trailtech..._protectors.htm

Cheers.

Pete

• MountainMax

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:10 AM

do you have a picture of it installed? i asked them about the protector when I ordered mine, and thought it was just that, a protector, never realizing how cheap their stock mont is, I can't afford another 40.00 USD shipping charge for this one item, they are crazy, they won't ship usps.

• JJHayesIII

Posted December 04, 2006 - 01:12 PM

don't know if it's different for the 450, but on my 400, I used the stock mounting bracket turned upside-down (like it says in the Trailtech documentation)....a little tough to press the buttons, but in the same vein, it's more protected than it would normally be...

• SID013

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:32 PM

do you have a picture of it installed? i asked them about the protector when I ordered mine, and thought it was just that, a protector, never realizing how cheap their stock mont is, I can't afford another 40.00 USD shipping charge for this one item, they are crazy, they won't ship usps.

Sorry, No pictures of it installed :worthy: The stock mount is cheap & very disappointing but I bet a marketing ploy to get us to spend the extra bucks on the kewel dashmount cause the stock one looks rubbish. Like us here in Oz the cost of the freight is often more than the goods are that you are buying from the States.

I have heard of using the stock bracket upside down like jjhayesIII advises but can't comment.

Good luck.

Pete

• steve lemley

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:47 AM

Buy the billet mount from trailtech, heres mine, protected in billet, easy to mount and looks great. billet mount was $50.00.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• MountainMax

Posted December 07, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I would have bought it origonally if i knew how crappy the stock one was, however im not paying another 45 dollars to get a 50 dollar part, i jsut can't do it, i wish they done usps, would be much cheaper (oh yeah, dont' forget the customs, gst, and brokerage fees on top of that once it arrives)

• steve lemley

Posted December 07, 2006 - 02:56 PM

won't they ship ground or frieght to you. That sucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fershy

Posted December 08, 2006 - 01:36 AM

Steve like the setup. I am using RG3 clamps that have the allen heads flush mounted in the clamps. Not sure how this would work with this setup though. Anyone with a similar setup care to comment?
fershy

• MountainMax

Posted December 08, 2006 - 03:15 AM

I was also trying to find a way to mount it int he stock location, however the new guage is taller and with my handlebars an inch forward/up, would make it almost impossible to reach the buttons....and hard to see.

• Birdy426

Posted December 08, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I would have bought it origonally if i knew how crappy the stock one was, however im not paying another 45 dollars to get a 50 dollar part, i jsut can't do it, i wish they done usps, would be much cheaper (oh yeah, dont' forget the customs, gst, and brokerage fees on top of that once it arrives)

Mountain Max-
If it's really the shipping charges that you can't (or, I suspect won't - on principle pay), go to your local shop and have them order one from Tucker Rocky. TR carries Trail Tech stuff. None of our local shops charge shipping when you order parts from them, and the catalogue price is the same as ordering direct from Trail Tech.

• MountainMax

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Well I just came in from the garage, I fabbed up a bracket out of aluminum to fit the vapor in the stock location, i'ts almost finished, will post pics when it's done........

• byggd

Posted January 07, 2007 - 04:41 AM

I'm thinking about getting the Vapor as well. Anyone mounted it with a Scotts?

• Bullwinkle

Posted January 07, 2007 - 08:31 AM

don't know if it's different for the 450, but on my 400, I used the stock mounting bracket turned upside-down (like it says in the Trailtech documentation)....a little tough to press the buttons, but in the same vein, it's more protected than it would normally be...

That's what I did too, although it was still too low. I had to fab a piece to raise it up another inch or so. My bike is an '04 though - I think the newer models are configured differently.

http://i142.photobuc...ectronics22.jpg

:lol:

• byggd

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:45 PM

I'm thinking about getting the Vapor as well. Anyone mounted it with a Scotts?

I did a little more research and if you visit the trail tech website it shows mounting with a Scotts steering stabilized both forward and reverse mounted.

• knucklehead

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:36 AM

That's what I did too, although it was still too low. I had to fab a piece to raise it up another inch or so. My bike is an '04 though - I think the newer models are configured differently.

http://i142.photobuc...ectronics22.jpg

:bonk:

how did you reroute your front brake line? My front brake line cant fit between the vapor and the headlight plastic. i was thinking of cutting away the headlight plastic. any other suggestions?

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:34 AM

Ok Guys, Finally installed my Vapor and took my bike outside for the first time since fall, snow is starting to go but still below 0, went for a quick ride and my Vapor is mounted awesome for me, here are some pics. What I done was made an aluminum bracket to raise the Vapor about 2" from stock base and moved/re-routed some wires/cables and it's all good............

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.