Fork tweakage??

6 replies to this topic
  • 650_shark

Posted December 03, 2006 - 05:59 PM

So I've been riding my XR650L pretty hard lately, lots of tight, rocky woods trails. I have crashed a few times going fast , but this one time I did the ol' tweak the front forks. Tire was a few degs off center, fixed on the trail then when I got home I loosened the triple crown bolts made sure everything was square and re-torqued. I'm wondering what I can do to reinforce the forks, perhaps a fork brace?

• LumpyXR650L

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hello,
I put a fork brace on my XR650L and it made a big difference. I got a RSW racing brace. It installed in 5 minutes and you can use the stock boots. Here is the link: http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm Good Luck...Lumpy

• michhub

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Yup, been there done that....I recently switched to the RSW Racing Triple & fork brace(Thanks to Treadmarks:thumbsup: )....front end is way solid now...

<http://www.thumperta...chmentid=25628>

Another option is the 'Superbrace'....$$$ http://www.superbrace.com/

MikeH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:07 PM

I know from experience that an SRC fork brace will do wonders for the 650L.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Us cheap barstards just find a nearby tree and turn the bars hard- smack the wheel against a tree a few times and all's good.

Dave

• sorenlaf

Posted December 04, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Us cheap barstards just find a nearby tree and turn the bars hard- smack the wheel against a tree a few times and all's good.

Dave

The other advantage of Dave's approach is that the fork brace may just shift the stress somewhere else.

Right now, the fork twists in the clamp, and that disipates the energy in the crash. If you prevent the fork from twisting, it may bend something instead.

I'd use a fork brace if I weren't happy with the handling (worked wonders with one of my street bikes), but not to keep the forks from twisting in a fall.

Just my $.02,
--Soren

• goblin127

Posted December 04, 2006 - 03:06 PM

The other advantage of Dave's approach is that the fork brace may just shift the stress somewhere else.

Right now, the fork twists in the clamp, and that disipates the energy in the crash. If you prevent the fork from twisting, it may bend something instead.

I'd use a fork brace if I weren't happy with the handling (worked wonders with one of my street bikes), but not to keep the forks from twisting in a fall.

Just my $.02,
--Soren

very good point!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.