Dr D with quiet insert good or no?

10 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted December 03, 2006 - 03:16 PM

I am either getting Dr D with insert or fmf q4, Which one is the best pipe without losing the most power. Noise is the main issue

• GrizzlyFlatter

Posted December 03, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Sorry about the misunderstanding on the other post.From what I have heard the Q4 would be the quietest,particularly when you put FMF's megabomb or powerbomb header on with it.Check the FMF racing website for more details.

• matts06yzf

Posted December 03, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Sorry about the misunderstanding on the other post.From what I have heard the Q4 would be the quietest,particularly when you put FMF's megabomb or powerbomb header on with it.Check the FMF racing website for more details.

not a problem I am buying a new system this week just so lost in what to get:excuseme: , i just dont want to pay 500.00 and hate it.

• NYMXer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Thank you for thinking about getting a quiet pipe. We will continue to lose riding areas until more people think about keeping their noise levels down to an acceptable level. :worthy:

• NM_KDX200

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:14 PM

There was a Dr. D on ebay and I watched it go 3x w/out a single bid. I thought hard about it, but the quiet insert seemed kind of...I dunno....cobbled on, maybe? I waited and snagged an FMF Q2 for < $200 nearly new. Should be here tomorrow- we'll see how it goes. I wanted it for the quiet, too. 450's a loud bike.

I would like to hear from someone with actual experience about the D w/ quiet, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted December 03, 2006 - 09:02 PM

I run DR D on both my 06 and 07 450s. The quiet core insert really keeps the noise down. At Idaho City it tested below 96db. I could not tell any huge difference in power. The bike ran really strong. I don`t think you could touch an FMF system with power bomb and silencer for 500.00. The Dr D is a great pipe for a great price.

On a side note; whatever you run, it is important to keep the silencer freshly packed for quiet performance.

• NM_KDX200

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Well, I just got my Q2, installed it, and went for a ride. First impression- lost low end power. Bike wants to be 1/3 throttle in a turn to pull, rather than immediately pulling. It feels "choked up" at low throttle. Feels normal-ish from 1/3 on up. Second impression- it's much quieter. I rode around my "turning" track in front of the house before going out to my track and my wife (inside the house) didn't even know I was out there. I like the stock pipe better for the track, but I'm sure the Q2 will be good elsewhere. Some jetting changes might help the low-end, too.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 05, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Is the dr. d with sparkarrestor the quiet exhast from dr. d.

• andy250

Posted December 05, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Is the dr. d with sparkarrestor the quiet exhast from dr. d.

The spark arrestor system does not include the quiet core insert. You have to buy the quiet core seperately for around 40 bucks:

http://www.btosports.com/p/AP5140

The quiet core will NOT fit the "race" system since its tip is welded on.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:55 PM

I've got a yz426f and the dr. d is a little bit louder at idle but when ridin it's just a as loud as stock. Dr. d (no quiet insert). My friend has a yz250f with the fmf q and it is super quiet (did not hear stock he bought it already on). Kind of loud when the rev is high but not bad.

• LeftThumb

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:02 PM

I have the DRD SA Pipe on an 06 450F. If you get the DRD quiet core make sure you put anti-seize on it before you install it. Otherwise you may have to take the pipe apart if you ever want to take the core out. In my experience the DRD has more of a hit than the stock pipe but is strong with or without the quiet core. Without the quiet core it's basically a regular race pipe. One small note the DRD will allow you to run the low boy header which is required if you're going to run a radiator lowering kit. The kit is really excellent for cornering on the new YZ-F's

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.