cylinder question

4 replies to this topic
  • idiot_on_426

Posted December 03, 2006 - 03:14 PM

can i hone a 01 yz426 cylinder or will the nicoceal come off? is it safe?

• Birdy426

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:16 PM

You can hone...if you need to. The Nicasil is very hard, and tough on the stones. It doesn't take much to wear thru the coating as well. If you are trying to hone away scratches, you will likely cut thru the coating. If you are just trying to give rings a good, fresh surface to bite, you will probably be OK. Use good cutting oil, and don't keep the hone in any longer than you have to. My local machine shop says don't use a flex-hone, but they don't say why...

Also, when you're done, be sure to mic the barrel to make sure it's still within spec. Actually, I would mike it before hand as well to be sure it isn't already out of limits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Did you have trouble with the link I sent you? If you want the rings to seat quickly and well, refinish the cylinder with a ball, or "bottle brush" hone. You have to run the hone up and down the cylinder rapidly as it turns, and use it for just 3-4 seconds at a time until the entire ring sweep is refinished, and no more. Nikasil is extremely hard, and you won't remove it this way.

• idiot_on_426

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:47 AM

ok, thanks, and yes for some reason i couldnt get through to your link, my computer is always wak! umm, this all sound good to me, except the part where Birdy426 said that if im trying to smooth out some scratches it might hurt the nicasil? i do have two little dings in the cylinder, but iv been told by two promising, knowledgable people that they are nothing to be worried about, but it would make me feel better if i could hone it. thank for the help...grayracer and birdy426

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Dings? On the interior?

Anyway, Birdy's partly right in that the nikasil plating is not more than a few thousandths of an inch thick, but it is very hard, and a ball hone will remove almost none of it. My reference point is that if the scratches or wear shadows are still present after 8-10 seconds of work with a ball hone (in 2 to 3 honing "sessions"), they are likely so deep that they can only be removed by boring and replating the cylinder, and at that point, you have to decide if they're deep enough to cause you any problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.