new chain?

8 replies to this topic
  • tom sawyer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys i just got a new sprocket and was wondering if i needed a new chain or could i use the stock chain? Im going from a 50 tooth to a 52 tooth in the rear. So can anyone post a tip.:D Thanks alot.:worthy:

~Tom Sawyer

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:52 PM

That all depends on how new your existing chain and sprockets are. If they are pretty much brand new, either no rides to like a few hours on them, then no you do not need a new chain.

Typically you must replace all the chain and sprockets at the same time.

Point being that if you have an evenly worn set of chain and sprockets on the bike, and you get a brand new rear sprocket, you will tend to wear the new sprocket prematurely and possibly skip teeth at high speed. This can happen because the old chain is slightly stretched, and the old sprockets' teeth have an increased gap from the torque applied to them. The stretched chain and the fresh new sprocket will therefore NOT mesh properly and exactly, to possibly cause the chain to break, pop off, and/or wear the new sprocket prematurely.

• tom sawyer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:56 PM

Well i've got about 400 miles or so and the chain gets scrubed after every ride.

• tom sawyer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:59 PM

That all depends on how new your existing chain and sprockets are. If they are pretty much brand new, either no rides to like a few hours on them, then no you do not need a new chain.

Typically you must replace all the chain and sprockets at the same time.

Point being that if you have an evenly worn set of chain and sprockets on the bike, and you get a brand new rear sprocket, you will tend to wear the new sprocket prematurely and possibly skip teeth at high speed. This can happen because the old chain is slightly stretched, and the old sprockets' teeth have an increased gap from the torque applied to them. The stretched chain and the fresh new sprocket will therefore NOT mesh properly and exactly, to possibly cause the chain to break, pop off, and/or wear the new sprocket prematurely.

So do you think that the stock chain is long enough?? Or, do I to get a new one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rushfan

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Sell it and buy a mo-ped

• rushfan

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:09 PM

So do you think that the stock chain is long enough?? Or, do I to get a new one?

Just sell it dude...heehee

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:28 PM

Sell it and buy a mo-ped

Just sell it dude...heehee

Yeah, your quite the helpful one.

Anyway to answer the question, I think you will be ok as far as the hours on your chain. You can get a different sprocket and throw it on w/o replacing everything.

However, as far as the stock chain being long enough, you are going to have to make that desicion based on how far you have to move the chain adjuster. If you can move it forward enough and get the proper slack, than you are good. But if you can't get the chain connected after putting on the new sprocket becuase the slack is too tight, then you will need a new chain.

• Asgeir

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Your chain should be long enough.

I run 50 and 52 tooth on the stock chain.

There is some adjusting of the chain adjusting bolts though.

• tom sawyer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Thanx for all the help fellas!!!! :D Cuz i had no idea!!:worthy: !!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.