pipe for 00' XR600

17 replies to this topic
  • hrc1

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hey guys, first post. I just bought a 2000 XR600 and i want to change the stock pipe for something else. I'm looking at a 4in supertrapp race slip on right now, for it's price, tunability and looks. Also my friend runs this pipe and has nothing but good to say about it. His however was a full system bought back in 99". Does anyone have a pipe they recommend or run on this bike? What do you like about your pipe etc.

I am considering switching headers too, but wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on that as well. What brand did you use, was there a noticible loss of torque in the lower rpm's, what are the pro's and con's of them etc. Pics would be a huge help too. Thanks guys!

• goblin127

Posted December 03, 2006 - 03:45 PM

I went with a XRs only full system in stainless because I knew I was going to keep the bike along while. I am not a big fan of slip ons,I would just as soon keep the stock whitch is probly better built than most slipon pipes that I have seen. My pipe is on a 650L and I may have lost a little low end,but it wasn't significant.

• hrc1

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:36 PM

ANYBODY have a pipe on there XR600? somebodys gotta have some imput...

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:48 PM

What type of riding will you be doing? Is sound an issue where you ride?
I have the FMF Q2 with the stock header, works awesome here in the KY single track and isn't so loud that you scare everyone within a 5 mile radius like some pipes out there.

• tomb1957

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:24 PM

I have the slip on SuperTrapp on my 98 and it works great.

• JGalt

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Just replaced Supertrap with a White Bros. E2 on my '94 XR600. Supertrap soiling fender with soot. Upon removal, discovered exhaust leak soiling frame. E2 a few inches longer, has one piece pipe/muffler that goes up to joint near kick starter, sound is a little different, not objectionable. Bike seems a little smoother. Pleased with outcome.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:50 AM

I have a FMF Gold Series full race exhaust on my 92 and a Pro Circuit Type 496 slip on on my 1996 XR600R Supermoto. I went for the PC on the SM for the spark arrestor and quiietness but love it. The power isn't as good as the FMF but it is quieter. The power from the FMF is incredible, and since it is a Supertrapp can, tuneable. Id sell it if the price is right because I am Dual Sporting the 92 and need something quieter and with a spark arrestor.

• hrc1

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:30 PM

After searching the net for the last 2 weeks for a pipe i like,and finding hardly anything is available, i narrowed it down to the white bros e2, older style, and the supertrapp. But the problem is i can't get the e2 anymore, so it looks like i'm gonna go for a supertrapp 4 in slip on. a spark arrestor is a necessity for the dunes and trails in michigan. And the spark arrestors and quiet cores they sell for the high $$$ pipes are nothing but a mega restriction and horsepower robber. I just can't stand having a pipe stick out almost to the rear fender, or past it either. That and the price the companys are charging for a redressed glasspack is retarded nowadays. On a dyno there isn't probably 1 hp between all of them. At least the supertrapp has the ability to go quiet if i like. Thanks for the imput guys.

• bork

Posted December 08, 2006 - 06:26 AM

If your on a public track , then noise is not an issue. But if you go out on trails, Keep as quiet as you can. I'd rather loose a little hp & ride, rather than dream of the old days & wander why they are all shut down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted December 08, 2006 - 12:36 PM

[quote name='bork']If your on a public track , then noise is not an issue. QUOTE]

I disagree. Noise from tracks carries too.

Anyway, back when I had my '99 XR600, it produced the best power with the stock header, and a White Bros. E-Series Pro-Meg muffler w/ 12 discs. I have to admit, it wasn't that quiet, around 97 or 98dB. But thats back when I didn't care. :worthy:

Other exhaust configurations I tried were the E-Series with a White Bros. oversize header (lost a lot of bottom, with no gains anywhere else), and a complete Big Gun system (was okay, just wasn't impressed).

• Hare

Posted December 08, 2006 - 03:36 PM

I have the Yosh complete system, they list it for around $800. but i got mine under $500. a few years ago

It its sweet, I have had zero issues and it makes great power, a tiny bit loud when hard on it but when short shifting, like the XR loves, its quiet.

• Beerad

Posted December 08, 2006 - 06:02 PM

I have a Big Gun header and muffler and am very happy with it on my 92 XR600. Noise isn't too bad and it runs great. :worthy:

Here's a picture of it;

Posted Image

• hrc1

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:01 PM

If your on a public track , then noise is not an issue. But if you go out on trails, Keep as quiet as you can. I'd rather loose a little hp & ride, rather than dream of the old days & wander why they are all shut down.

We don't have any public tracks around here, and if we did i probably wouldn't ride them anyways (mutch more suited to motocross bikes). I have a track in my backyard and my friend had a practice track from when he used to race, other than that it's the trail system up north and the dunes. You get tested at the dunes, i was let in at 96db the other year though... I'm trying to keep it reasonably quiet, and that's why straight through pipes are out. I need a spark arrestor and a quiet cored straight pipe is almost the same power level as my stocker with the thumper turn down i have on it.

• hrc1

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:04 PM

I have the Yosh complete system, they list it for around $800. but i got mine under $500. a few years ago

It its sweet, I have had zero issues and it makes great power, a tiny bit loud when hard on it but when short shifting, like the XR loves, its quiet.

Is that the tapered header version? I have been looking for one of those headers for my bike but my search turned up nothing...

• hrc1

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:05 PM

I have a Big Gun header and muffler and am very happy with it on my 92 XR600. Noise isn't too bad and it runs great. :worthy:

Here's a picture of it;

Posted Image

Sweet bike! Pipe looks good on there!

• xr650l bum

Posted December 09, 2006 - 07:21 AM

Is that the tapered header version? I have been looking for one of those headers for my bike but my search turned up nothing...

I to have the yoshi full system on my 650l and love it!!! Unfortunatly they are discontinued. I guess thats why I only paid 400 for the full system. I am still looking for a spare header just in case. I have considered going with the fmf power bomb header with the Q exhaust. They just discontinued the Q for the Q2. The Q looks better and they perform the same. If you can find the Q you would probably get a deal. My $.02

• bork

Posted December 09, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Here's a picture of it;

Posted Image

Is tha a pic when bike was new? Tank & graphics look soooo good!

• Beerad

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:01 PM

that picture was taken just after the restoration so many parts were new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.