Cam Journal Wear

5 replies to this topic
  • zimmy78

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Here are some pics of my intake cam journals and intake cam. The bucket is stuck in there. I think it is time to get a new torque wrench. After searching previous posts and reading about Engine Dynamics, I will be giving them a call about fixing up the journals. Is the wear on the cam enough to warrant a new cam or does it look fine to the professionals out there? Thanks for the help.

Cam Journals

Stuck Bucket

Intake Cam

Intake Cam

• YZ_Abuser

Posted December 03, 2006 - 09:12 AM

My guess is that is Aluminum from the head deposited on the cam. I think you could clean it of the cam and save it. I'd try some muratic acid from the pool supply store.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:23 PM

Tear a long, narrow strip of fine emery cloth and wind once around each cam journal (the journal is the actual bearing surface on the cam. The bores in the heads are the bearing surfaces). Polish the cam journals free of any deposited aluminum and measure them for wear. More than .001" should be rejected.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ericyzf4

Posted December 09, 2006 - 07:46 AM

I had a problem with the cam journals on the head off of my 99 400f. During a rebuild I noticed the cam was "binding", hard to turn when the caps were torqued. I talked to several shops in this area and they were all clueless. (one suggested I leave the caps loose so the cams would turn easier) I did an online search and came up with Engine Eyanmics. Gave them a call and they were super to deal with. Sent them my head and they line honed the journals (along with new valve seats and guides and they even set the vavle clearance). Bike is back together and has about 30 HARD hours on it since the rebuild/head work, have checked everything a couple of times and all is in order. Come to find out the problem is inherent to the earlier YZF's. When you adjust the valves and re-tourqe the cam caps, they squish and tolerances get tighter.

Eric

99 YZ400F
02 XR250R
06 YZ450F

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 09, 2006 - 02:25 PM

Ive used engine dynamics on my YZ400. They do good work. send it to them.

• zimmy78

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna call Engine Dynamics today.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.