Oil Pressure

6 replies to this topic
  • 650 racer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Anyone tell me how much oil pressure the xr650r has at an idle and at full throttle? Thanks

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Anyone tell me how much oil pressure the xr650r has at an idle and at full throttle? Thanks

Where would you be measuring it? There are several restrictions to regulate flow. I don't think it is very high anywhere in the system.

• 650 racer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Coming out to the motor, going to the tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Coming out to the motor, going to the tank.

The pressure in the tank will basically be zero. The first higher volume pump scavanges oil from the crankcase and pumps it into the tank. On my 600 the tank is vented to the crankcase and therefore is under no pressure. I think the 650R is the same.

The second oil pump is gravity fed off the frame tank and pumps oil through the oil filter and to the various parts of the engine.

• 650 racer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Well what is would the pressure on the line from the pump in the crankcase to the tank. What I need is 15psi to my turbo, if it is less I will need to get a inline oil pump.

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Turbo? Sounds cool. People are going to want to see pictures.

I think you should plan on the pump. There really isn't any pressure going into the tank. To get some you would need have a restriction. A pressure relief valve with 15 psi could give you that 15 psi. Another question is the flow volume that you are looking for. I have no idea at what rate the oil is pumped out of the engine. It might not be that much.

If you go with the pump, it might be better to get your supply from where the oil is returned to the engine. It will be somewhat cooler than what comes out of the engine. You might also just drill two holes to the oil tank and add fittings for your system.

• frankstr

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Turbo..Yes..Yes..I want to see some pics....:worthy:

:D :prof:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.