White milky oil

14 replies to this topic
  • YamieRider411

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:15 AM

I found white milky oil coming out of my cylinder head breather hose. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? This started showing up after I had some work done on the engine…

• yz007f

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:38 AM

This will happen if you have to much oil in your motor. Its not a big deal it just foams and blows it out. Mine does it once in awhile if I get carried away when changing the oil and pour alittle to much in it.

• 2002YZ426

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:10 AM

This condition can also be water or coolant in the oil. Check to be sure that is not the case because it's very hard on a motor, and may/will seize.

• Troutman

Posted December 03, 2006 - 05:06 PM

I had the milk in my 86 RM 125 and it was coolant in the oil from the water pump shaft seal but I would also check my head gasket. Once fixed I filled the crank case with kerosene darined it to clean it out before re-filling with oil.

• Stripes123

Posted December 03, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I found white milky oil coming out of my cylinder head breather hose. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? This started showing up after I had some work done on the engine…

How much did you see coming out? I've seen this on my bike amd more than likely it's just a little condensation in the valve cover and hose.

• INJURY_69

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I was under the impression that if there was too much oil it is forced out decompression plug area?

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Uh, no.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamieRider411

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:48 AM

I've changed the oil 3 times to make sure there wasn't any water or anti-freeze mixture going on. I've also checked the radiator... Nothing looks fishy.

It's a very small amount, much less than a tsp...

It just bothers me. I would hate for this thing to seize while hitting a ninety foot triple... :worthy:

Gray have you ever heard of this milky oil coming out of the cylinder head breather hose?

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:19 AM

Gray have you ever heard of this milky oil coming out of the cylinder head breather hose?

Yes....

I've seen this on my bike amd more than likely it's just a little condensation in the valve cover and hose.

If you had a real problem, you would have either coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant, or both.

• YamieRider411

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:45 AM

One side of my case was cracked about a month ago and had to be replaced... This may have some relevance.

Water and oil don't mix so well. To get white oil something in the engine is mixing the crap out of it before it comes out the breather hose...

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:21 AM

The water and oil normally present in the air inside the breather interact with each other at high temperatures, and at the vapor/droplet level, not as liquids. Under these circumstances, the dispersants and detergents in the oil absorb the water very readily. If you have no evidence of cross-contamination of either fluid supply within it's own system, what you are seeing is the result of atmospheric moisture being drawn into the breather as the engine cools, and you do not have a problem. But if you insist on imagining one, feel free.

• YamieRider411

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:31 AM

Wow... Sorry... A simple you don't have a problem would have done the job.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:43 AM

That's what I thought, too, but remember this post? :worthy:

http://www.thumperta...567#post4079567

• YamieRider411

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Gotcha Thanks.

• dieselmgr

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:52 PM

I have an 06 yz450 with five hours on the engine that has the same symptom. Noticed after first oil change. Sent an oil sample to an oil lab for anylsis. Should get results within a week and will advise to what if anything is found. Hopefully its just condensation.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.