Primary Drive Chains

14 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:08 AM

Has anyone tried a Primary Drive chain from Rocky Mountain? The X-Ring gold is only $55 and is 8150 tensil strength. Just wants some opinions from experience!!!!!!! I did do a search and read positive but they are several months old and I want some more information after extended use.

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I DON'T THINK THE "PRIMARY DRIVE" BRAND HAS BEEN OUT THAT LONG, I HAVE HAD ONE ON MY L FOR ABOUT 2500 MILES ABOUT 1/3 THROUGH THE WOODS & SO FAR SO GOOD :worthy:

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:32 AM

Has anyone tried a Primary Drive chain from Rocky Mountain? The X-Ring gold is only $55 and is 8150 tensil strength. Just wants some opinions from experience!!!!!!! I did do a search and read positive but they are several months old and I want some more information after extended use.

I got a O-ring chain and sprocket kit about 10 months ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sprockets. They looked well made. I would not recommend the O-ring chain. Get the X-ring as my O-ring one looks kind of light. The inner plates are not solid, but they are on the X-ring version. That said I have had no issues with it. It's got about 2500 to 3000 miles on it and it is not stretching. It's a good value for the $$$.

• loufish

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:57 PM

I bought a set of sprockets and their Gold X-Ring chain. So far I've had no problems, but it does use a clip style master link, while the stock 650R uses a staked master link.
Any guys having problem with a clip style master for their 650R?

By the way, doing business with R/M was great, shipping was free over $100, and it still got to me in only 3 days. and did get an e-mail conformation and tracking from them.
Will do business with them again.

• TARFELE

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks guys, I have the X on order so I will see soon enough. Everything that I have bought from the so far has been great quality especially the ARC stuff.

• goblin127

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:08 PM

How well do clip master links hold up on these bikes with the chain guides they run?

• frankstr

Posted December 08, 2006 - 06:11 AM

How well do clip master links hold up on these bikes with the chain guides they run?

That is something I do not know and don't plan on finding out personaly..
Bikes in the past have had clip master links..no problems...:D
But for my BRP I will stick to the staked master link...:worthy:
But thats my opinion......

:prof: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 08, 2006 - 08:07 AM

I would imagine that there are a lot of 650Rs with clip type chains on them. If it were a big problem I'd think that we would see posts titled "Don't use clip chains on a 650R." I don't remember ever seeing one.

Don't know about the 650R, but on my 600 my last chain was a RK clip type O-ring chain. It had the interference fit master link. These links are not like the easy to assemble ones on a non-ring chain. It takes quite a bit of force to install the side plate. It really needs to be pressed on. Well when the time came to replace it, the clip was nowhere to be found. I have no idea how long I was riding with no clip, but I suspect it was a long time, perhaps a year.

Now checking for the clip is part of my pre-ride checklist.

• Troy_Bell

Posted December 08, 2006 - 12:20 PM

When I replaced the chain on my 650R, I went with a clip type. I rode it for another few months before the bike was stolen. During that time, I had no issues with it. My buddy has been using a clip type on his 650R for years and never had a problem. They weren't the Primary Drive brand, so I can't comment about it's use on that bike. However, I did buy the Primary Drive o-ring chain and sprocket combo for my YZ250 and I am quite pleased with it's quality. As mentioned above, the o-ring has openings in the links, which at first kind of bothered me, but the rated tensile strength is plenty for my 250.

• TARFELE

Posted December 08, 2006 - 03:38 PM

I got the chain in today and it seems to be of the same quality as my last DID. As far as the clip style, if your worried safety wire it. I have never had a problem with the clip.

Thanks again.

• Mudshark

Posted December 08, 2006 - 04:03 PM

I have one on my KX250, it's great! :worthy: I wish I knew about them
earlier... would have saved a lot of money :D

• xr-jorger

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:19 PM

I bought the sproket and x-ring chain for my pig and love it, no issues....clip hasnt been a problem either! :worthy:

• roadcam

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I've been running the Primary Drive X-Ring chain and their steel sprockets for a couple years now on my XR650L ... absolutely no issues, I would recommend them to anyone ... and, I've never shed a masterlink in 40+ years of riding, although I have broken a couple of chains ... :thumbsup:

• big t

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:58 AM

Haven't used Primary Drive chains but I have had several sprockets of thiers and you can't beat them for the price.:thumbsup:

• xplore

Posted December 14, 2006 - 09:41 AM

I have been running them on all of the bikes, they are the same as any other, as well as the sprockets. Get them at this price while you can. I have bought tires over the years, and they used to be $35 now they are $55. So as soon as they get popular enough they will jack the price up I'll bet. I'm sure it is just a supply and demand deal. Just like "ARC and TORQUE" great prices till they make a name. But Rocky Mountain is really great for sure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.