650L Spark Arrestor?

4 replies to this topic
  • TrailRiderXRL

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Has anyone tried swapping the spark arrestor out for a different one? Was just riding with a guy that swapped the XRL's for a mid 80's TRX. It was a perfect fit. Looked completely stock. The only difference being the TRX had a much larger exhaust opening. I haven't measured the diameter of mine but I'm guessing it to be about an inch. The TRX one looked to be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch larger in diameter than mine. If my guestimates are close, the TRX spark arrestor has between 50-70% more area than stock. The sound difference was noticeable but not any louder. It seemed to have more "growl" to it!
I am trying to find a bone yard for ATV's where I should be able to get one for cheap or even free. I'll post any findings when I get one. This maybe a good cheap addition to the "uncorking" procedure of our beloved XRL's!!:worthy:

• zodran

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I think you're talking about the baffle. The guy I bought my XRL from claimed that removing it doesn't defeat the spark arrestor. It was LOUD without it, I also got the stock baffle and a thumper racing baffle with a bigger ID and a turned down outlet.
It would barely run with the stock baffle, the TR baffle was a little better. I used a barnum supertrapp for a while, then ended up getting a complete big gun system after riding a buddy's XRL that had one.
This was a few years ago, from what I've read big guns quality has taken a turn for the worse. Changing the baffle is the cheaper way to go and still be reasonably quiet, so good luck with your quest. :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:46 AM

I replaced the baffle on my 600. I got mine from Baja Designs. It made a huge difference. Much better flowing than stock. It is also very quiet compared to most aftermarket pipes.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:49 AM

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

The stock baffle is pretty much straight through, just a perf. pipe with fiberglass around it, so I figure it is not the spark arrestor.

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.