02 yz426 wont rev

3 replies to this topic
  • 2002YZ426

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I just got an 02 yz426. It seems to be well cared for and starts fairly easy. It idles good but it wont rev out in any gear. Gets about mid range and gives up, backfires a little on accel and decel but no serious popping. The bike seems like it has good compression but I was told it needs rings. Seems more like a small main jet or running out of gas but the plug is black. It has an after market full exhaust but no markings to tell whos it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2006 - 09:09 AM

The first thing to check would be the air filter, especially if it seems to run up better at part throttle than at full. Another possibility that doesn't come up often is either a main jet that has fallen out. If the bike seems too quiet, or sounds choked up, you could have a collapsed perforated core tube in the silencer.

The rings are not implicated in any way, nor are the valves. Lack of compression affects low speed performance more than high.

Does it miss, or just run flat?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertRacer2

Posted December 03, 2006 - 09:56 AM

I bought a used WR400 a couple years ago that did the same thing. Ran great on the bottom, idled perfectly, but had no top end power. I put a 170 main jet in and the problem went away. It turned the bike into a rocket!

• 2002YZ426

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the replys. It doesn't seem to miss, just runs flat. The filter is definately in bad shape. The main jet didn't fall out but it only has a 162. I was guessing a bigger jet also. It's definately not quiet, louder than heck as a matter of fact. Who makes a good quiet pipe for this machine that doesn't compromise power.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.