Oil change

9 replies to this topic
  • holdk2

Posted December 02, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Well I took delivery of my 2003 XR650R last weekend and the first thing that I thought after I’d been for a short blast on it, why haven’t I owned 1 of these before now it’s the best and most powerful bike I’ve ever been on I’m addicted.:worthy: :D :prof:
It just tore up those green lanes where I live.
Just a quick question please I’m going to change the oil and filter piece of mind can someone recommend a good semi synthetic oil please.
I’ll post some pic’s soon.:bonk: :cry:
Regards Kev

• Mudshark

Posted December 02, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Congratulations on the new bike Kev :worthy:
You're right, it's most fun you can (legally :prof: ) have.
I run a Shell product they have out here called Rotella T, I'm not sure you get
it in the UK though. It comes in 2 flavors, regular Dino and fully synthetic.
I used to run a 50/50 mix of these 2, but now I just go with the full syn version.
I have tried many of the regular (acceptable) bike oils. None are better
than Rotella T so far. The oil change frequency on the R doesn't even give it
enough time to get it dirty :D

Do yourself a favor and go and read this article:
http://motorcycleinf....com/Oils1.html

• rcnutt

Posted December 02, 2006 - 05:17 PM

sweet, an oil thread........line starts here.........then we can talk spark plugs :worthy:.......

• frankstr

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Welcome holdk2, To Thumpertalk.....

:worthy: :D

• Mudshark

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:46 AM

sweet, an oil thread........line starts here.........then we can talk spark plugs :D.......

hehe! then tires and then engine coolant ... :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Good semisynthetic oil. The good thing here is that the 650R is good with a lot of oils. Realistically any semi sync not labelled "energy conserbing" on the API symbol will be fine. I recommend Mobil 1 15w50 Extended Performance. Has the additive pack and maintains viscosity well. This may be a "full synthetic" but the price is right and it's hard to beat this oil. In my opinion it also covers a good viscosity range that covers our bike well.

A decent semisync is Honda HP4 but for that price, you might want to just use the mobil 1 as the price is about the same and you get more out of the mobil 1

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Congratulations on the new bike Kev :worthy:
You're right, it's most fun you can (legally :prof: ) have.
I run a Shell product they have out here called Rotella T, I'm not sure you get
it in the UK though. It comes in 2 flavors, regular Dino and fully synthetic.
I used to run a 50/50 mix of these 2, but now I just go with the full syn version.
I have tried many of the regular (acceptable) bike oils. None are better
than Rotella T so far. The oil change frequency on the R doesn't even give it
enough time to get it dirty :D

Do yourself a favor and go and read this article:
http://motorcycleinf....com/Oils1.html

I'm with Mudshark on this one. I really like the old Rotella. It stands up better than any motorcycle specific oil that I ever used. The problem is that it just got reformulated and the new one has much lower zinc levels. This may be an issue for our bikes. I've stockpiled about 10 gallons of the old, so I'll just keep using it until the jury comes back on the new formulation.

The new has a different label on it. The new is SM rated and the old SL, so if it says SM on it, it's the new version.

• rcnutt

Posted December 03, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Ok , let me in here.... I like royal purple 20/50(full syn.)........good stuff, spendy, but good.:worthy:

• holdk2

Posted December 04, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Thanks guys,

So if I wanted to change Rotella T fully synthetic I could without flushing the engine right?

Regards Kev :worthy: :D

• cleonard

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:01 PM

Thanks guys,

So if I wanted to change Rotella T fully synthetic I could without flushing the engine right?

Regards Kev :worthy: :D

Correct, no flushing required.

The Rotella Synthetic is going to get the same low zinc formulation that the regular got sometime in late 2007.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.