If you could get any bike...(under$6K)

6 replies to this topic
  • aspenj

Posted December 28, 2001 - 05:51 AM

You've got $6000 to blow on a new dirt bike, what would you get...If you lived at 8000 ft. Mountain trails out your back door, Desert, MX, and everything else 2 hours away...6', 160.
Spot-on throttle response, rideable stock suspension and bits would be ideal.Technical Trail Riding mostly, Enduro racing possible, street legal for sure.... (Headlight + Taillight only) Cold Starting a must. No garage....waahhh

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: aspenj ]

• YZ400Court

Posted December 28, 2001 - 06:08 AM

1st choice for the price, KTM 300 EXC...even though it pings. If you do not mind used I'd say KTM 520 would be better.

• Jekel

Posted December 28, 2001 - 06:06 PM

I'd look at the WR250F or the KTM 400exc if I could find it. both four strokes and light weight to boot. Have ridden the WR250 and it is an awesome bike, have the WR400 and it is a bit heavy, and KTM speaks for itself :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryce_Senff

Posted December 28, 2001 - 08:41 PM

I think at 8000' you would want a good sized thumper, WR426? DRZ400E?
Bryce
PS
I've got a nice Suzuki TL1000SV that you could
throw some knobbies on and dig some serious trenches and roost everyone in the general vicinity :)

• Andrew/co

Posted December 30, 2001 - 03:08 PM

Just found out that the new Cannondale 440s is going for $5995 or less. I know they had trouble last year but it's supposed to be a huge improvement this year. Has EFI too which would obviously help for altitude changes and you can download different EFI settings off the Cannondale website. Just a thought.....Happy New Year!!

• Andrew/co

Posted December 30, 2001 - 03:09 PM

Just found out that the new Cannondale 440s is going for $5995 or less. I know they had trouble last year but it's supposed to be a huge improvement this year. Has EFI too which would obviously help for altitude changes and you can download different EFI settings off the Cannondale website. Just a thought.....Happy New Year!!

• aspenj

Posted December 30, 2001 - 03:44 PM

Thanks,
I sat on a Cannondale. It's really nice. Clean design, Ohlins front and back. It's pretty trick.

I'm a bit scared about the EFI, I've heard bad things about high altitude riding. I'm also concerned that its an MX bike with 19" rear wheel, no lights and most importantly, minimal dealer/parts support.

You do get alot for the money, but I'll wait for them to drop the price on this years enduro version. (not likely) I think they're trying real hard to sell their product, but too many doubters like me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.