XRL - Y not a LOUD exhaust?

30 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:29 AM

Personaly, I think the louder sound is kinda tuff....

But even MORE is the saftey factor...when riding with cars.

Why do people want quiet mufflers (other than legality?) Is there a performance loss or gain either way?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted December 02, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Why do people want quiet mufflers (other than legality?) Is there a performance loss or gain either way?

I, personally, do not think loud pipes make you more noticeable, or safer.

In my neck of the woods, people behind the wheel are the most moronic, self-absorbed, "me! me! ME!", oblivious, deliberately sh1tty, deliberately offensive, run-the-red-light-even-though-it-turned-red-before-you-got-to-it-by-a-looooooooooooooooooooooong-shot drivers in the World. Only loud thing that'll get their attention is a blazing sawgun tearing their a22 wide open. (Honda, are you listening? Lol...) Oh, and you don't want to know what I _really_ think about them, either, lol.

Loud pipes are obnoxious. I hear pipes 3 blocks away. What is the point? Just my .02...:worthy:

• frankstr

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Loud is out..:worthy: :D It just gives the wrong people ammo to use against us riders..
This is something we do not need...So keep it toned down...

:prof: :bonk:

• wheelnut46

Posted December 02, 2006 - 09:00 PM

You're right it's all about being quiet. The magazines are full of quiet and the racers check db at tech inspection.
Off road it's all about stealth. If the people in houses can hear you, they might try to stop you (or others) but they wont stop you if they don't know you're out there.
On the street I want to be heard and noticed. On my 4 lane, non-divided road commute I want the car in the next lane to be aware that I'm there - even if he doesnt regularly check his mirrors and is too lazy to turn his head.
Tough situation. Can't have it all.

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:12 AM

With 20 Something Years Of Street Riding Under My Belt, I Think Loud Pipes Do Bring Your Presence To The Me-me-me Drivers Attention, The Flip Side Of The Coin Is Everyone Else Who Can't Mind Their Own Business Will Complain "it's To Loud", However, Off Road I Try To Be As Quiet As Possible, So I Switch My E Series Back To My Stock Pipe When I Switch To My Knobbies

• motivater

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Its all about where you live.............if no one is around to hear the tree fall than it doesnt realy matter does it.......alll about where you live

• pigryder

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:31 AM

LOUD SUCKS......keep riding areas open man, loud pipes lose areas....

• motivater

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:45 AM

it just depends mannnnnnnnnnn

• pgiinc

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:01 AM

you ever hear of captians choice exhaust?
I had it on my boat would be a gret idea for bikes with a switch you go from queit to loud

• motivater

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:17 AM

sounds good to me!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:40 PM

SHHHHH..Keep it quiet...:worthy: Dull roar anyways......:D

:prof: :bonk:

• synthnut

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:00 AM

I have different rides for different situations.....I ride as quiet as possible in the woods as legislation can't wait to get us out of the woods , but I'm LOUD on the street !!....People just don't pay attention to driving anymore especially with cell phones being in the hands of EVERYONE !!... A little "beep beep" from my bike horn does nothing , but pull in the clutch and hit the throttle on a Harley, and people jump and look around for where it's coming from ... I've ridden since I'm 16 on the street , and I ride EVERY year, and I'm now 55 .... The worst encounters I've had was when I once owned a BMW ....It was a great bike, but so quiet running that I got run off the road SO MANY TIMES that I gave it up ... So I go for both ....Ride LOUD on the street , and shhhhh!! quiet in the woods ....Jim

• dedminst

Posted December 27, 2006 - 04:29 PM

What is the best performance quiet pipe available for an 04 650L?

• rebelventurer

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Best pipe is ..... XRS ONLY full stainless system, but please buy the quiet core insert for off road, but on road you need open pipes to wake poeple up to whats around them! A cable operated exhaust cut out would be perfect, quiet in the woods/off road, loud on the street!

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:25 AM

<<<<<>>>>
Stick with the idiots and the V-twins with straight pipes if this is really the way you believe.
Loud Pipes save lives? Give it a rest. Stupid idea that is killing our sport.
No one (except for the V-twit crowd) has ever really bought into this idea, and NO one has ever provided conclusive proof of it being true.
I've always thought it better to pay attention to traffic rather than annoy it. 43 years of riding...... and looking forward to the next 43!
:lol: :confused: :confused:

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:41 AM

You're right it's all about being quiet. The magazines are full of quiet and the racers check db at tech inspection.
Off road it's all about stealth. If the people in houses can hear you, they might try to stop you (or others) but they wont stop you if they don't know you're out there.
On the street I want to be heard and noticed. On my 4 lane, non-divided road commute I want the car in the next lane to be aware that I'm there - even if he doesnt regularly check his mirrors and is too lazy to turn his head.
Tough situation. Can't have it all.

<<<<<<>>>>>>>
They want quiet because many of our racing venues are being shut down because of excessive noise complaints. I for one agree, I'm a racer and get tired of the constant "loud" noise.
I've got a bunch of Harley riders that live about a half a mile away and I ALWAYS know when they're coming and going. It's really VERY darned annoying at 3 am. I've got another next door with an 04 Road king with stock pipes, jetted and cams. I't faster than ANY of those "straight piped" morons bikes and I never hear it fire up unless I'm over at his place. NOISE don't mean performance.
As for being heard by cars.... do you realize that the cars usually cannot hear you until the exit for your exhaust is in front of them? Kinda put your theory of being heard as an "early warning" in the dumper now doesn't it?
Personnally I'd rather have to be a bit more vigilent for my safety and be able to keep riding than to keep losing riding areas and roads to the noise ordinances. Just my 2 cents worth.....

• motivater

Posted January 02, 2007 - 03:17 PM

louder has a tendency to be heard in trafic. YOur odds go up the louder you are!! Common sence. I guess that puts your idea in the dumper!

• lhark

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:46 PM

I'm with the loud pipe bunch. I've seen people roll up their windows, as I'm coming up with my XR650L, and I used to care about it. These are the same gropes that wander all over the road, while on the cell phone, no turn signals, the usual.....Since I bought a KTM LC4 with the quiet comp can on it, I've been in more tight spots on the highway since August, than I have in 3 1/2 years with the XR.

When someone explains to me the concept of good noise vs. bad noise, I will happily go quiet. Why is the sound of a drunk on a Harley at 2 am cool (to some people), and that "********* on the dirtbike" in the middle of the afternoon, not?

Thanks for letting me vent a bit. This subject always gets me going.

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:55 AM

louder has a tendency to be heard in trafic. YOur odds go up the louder you are!! Common sence. I guess that puts your idea in the dumper!

<<<<>>>>>>
Correct, you get heard..... by all the people BEHIND you, and they already know your there. So again, how does this alert those in front of you?
Answer:
It doesn't. This is, as you put it "Common Sense".
I've buried many friends and fellow riders over my many years as a rider (over 40). Many that bought into the "Loud Pipes" fairy tale..... didn't help any of them.

End of story as far as I'm concerned.
PS.
Why do they call it "Common Sense" when it is so uncommon to possess it?

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 04, 2007 - 12:10 PM

<<<<<<>>>>>>>
By the way motivator, you claim "your odds go up the louder you are". What study or compilation did you obtain the data from to substantiate this claim? Or is it just an "opinion" of yours?
Seems to me AMA disagrees with your assesment of the facts, and ABATE never even tried to do a study on this issue. They both DO agree that excess noise is a definite factor limiting access to many areas by on and off road vehicles.
To all you "Loud Pipes" guys, want to keep riding these bikes or just shine them up in the garage and keep them as musuem pieces? Excess noise is geting our favorite pastime/passion shut down way too often and in way too many areas.:lol:
Personally, I'd rather ride with a muffler than not ride at all.
:confused: :confused: :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.