oil level ?

11 replies to this topic
  • smrich

Posted December 01, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Well I got the cams and rocker arms installed, this was due to the fact of running low on oil for some time. After install I was filling it up with oil, this is where the question comes from. I put 1.6 quarts in but I have a XRSOnly temp dip stick and can't read the oil on it! How far down is the high oil mark from the top of a factory dipstick? Second, is anyone using the oil sight tube that mounts into the frame? To use this you have to drill two holes into the frame, how do you keep the metal shavings from falling into the frame? Thanks!

• HondaXR650L

Posted December 01, 2006 - 03:17 PM

I got on of those also. Just take the stock one and the XRSonly one, put the tops together side by side and mark where the levels are. I easly did this by gently scratching a high and low mark on the XRSonly temp dip stick. Hope this helps.

• smrich

Posted December 01, 2006 - 03:27 PM

I would but I got the bike used and it only had the XRSOnly dipstick! I have a XR650R, forgot to mention.

• hill5150

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:50 PM

The capacity of the 650R is just a hair under 2 quarts w/ an oil filter change, I have the sight tube, you cannot effectively read that tube unless the motor is running..........

• smrich

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I know how much it holds, but I can't see it on my XRSOnly dipstick!!!!! Anyone know the distance from the high level mark to the top of the dipstick on a oem dipstick so I can measure mine an mark it?

• jayrider2003

Posted December 02, 2006 - 10:54 AM

From the lip (sealing surface to frame) down to the 'high level' hole of the OEM dipstick is 2.25 inches.

03 650R

Jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smrich

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Thank you Jayrider! Now I can mark it an make sure its where it should be when it is warmed up.

• Kritter

Posted December 03, 2006 - 12:26 PM

www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

No need for using the dipstick.

• smrich

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:53 PM

yeah I saw the sight tube thing but it scares me to drill into the frame, where do the metal shavings go? Into the frame which holds the oil right?

• Kritter

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:36 PM

yeah I saw the sight tube thing but it scares me to drill into the frame, where do the metal shavings go? Into the frame which holds the oil right?

into the flutes of the greased up tap

• smrich

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, but can't some fall into the frame? Have you done this mode?

• Kritter

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, but can't some fall into the frame? Have you done this mode?

Ive done it on several bikes. Do it with an oil change and you can clean the screens and alleviate any worries.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.