Help? Yamaha or Honda 450?

11 replies to this topic
  • assfastgrass

Posted December 01, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hey guys,

I am in the mkt for a new motocross machine after being out a while. YAMAHA'S have always worked well for me in the past. Seems like they have their suspension more dialed than the other brands.
A short story: back in 77 I was racing 250 amateur on a KTM. The engine was FAST, but I never could get the suspension set up for me to work well on a particular rough sand track, I rode as hard as I could with what I had and was always beat by a few riders who I knew I could flat out smoke. I rode a friends stock 77 YZ 250 the next race and flat out destroyed the entire field, got an uncharacteristic bad start (second to last) moved through the pack and was in the lead in 2 laps! Even though I did well and won many races in my career this one moto stands out in my memory. The next week I tried this Yamaha on a much smoother "horsepower" track where I did really well on my KTM and did not have the same success due to the horsepower difference. We dragged the bikes and the KTM was much faster, however on this rough sand track it was all about handling and rider ability not sheer hp which I had on the KTM.
I also like HONDA, it is betwen Yamaha and Honda 450's. Which is better suspension wise, engine wise, reliability wise, etc. Try to be as impartial as possible. Thanks.

• 700MX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hey guys,

I am in the mkt for a new motocross machine after being out a while. YAMAHA'S have always worked well for me in the past. Seems like they have their suspension more dialed than the other brands.
A short story: back in 77 I was racing 250 amateur on a KTM. The engine was FAST, but I never could get the suspension set up for me to work well on a particular rough sand track, I rode as hard as I could with what I had and was always beat by a few riders who I knew I could flat out smoke. I rode a friends stock 77 YZ 250 the next race and flat out destroyed the entire field, got an uncharacteristic bad start (second to last) moved through the pack and was in the lead in 2 laps! Even though I did well and won many races in my career this one moto stands out in my memory. The next week I tried this Yamaha on a much smoother "horsepower" track where I did really well on my KTM and did not have the same success due to the horsepower difference. We dragged the bikes and the KTM was much faster, however on this rough sand track it was all about handling and rider ability not sheer hp which I had on the KTM.
I also like HONDA, it is betwen Yamaha and Honda 450's. Which is better suspension wise, engine wise, reliability wise, etc. Try to be as impartial as possible. Thanks.

Crf, YZF, they are both killer bikes period.....on the same top level. Go ride one of each, and you will have your answer.

• 700MX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Crf, YZF, they are both killer bikes period.....on the same top level. Go ride one of each, and you will have your answer.

What I am sayin is they are both so good, it really comes down to personal preference....and you can easily find out your preference by riding each for a minute or two. I had an 06 crf450, and got a yami for this season because it "feels" better to me. You could prefer the "honda" feel

good luck

• motopastor

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Cant go wrong with either one. I just bought an 07 YZ450 after spending a year on an 06 CRF450. While I liked my Honda, I love my Yamaha!

• doublecaser

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Cant go wrong with either one. I just bought an 07 YZ450 after spending a year on an 06 CRF450. While I liked my Honda, I love my Yamaha!

Who let you on here....Idaho Chump. Ridden your new bike much?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2006 - 07:12 PM

They may both be good, but the Yamaha is better. Clearly so, IMO. It turns better (no instant front end disconnect like the CRF), it has better suspension, stock for stock, and will probably still prove to be significantly more reliable.

The choice for my son's new bike had come down to a YZ250 or a CRF450. He wanted to stay with a four-stroke, but we didn't really want to own a CRF. Then the '06 YZ450 came out, and that was that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • assfastgrass

Posted December 01, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Thanks alot for your replies. You have confirmed that I can't go wrong with another YAMAHA!

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:12 PM

Which is better suspension wise, engine wise, reliability wise, etc. Try to be as impartial as possible. Thanks.

Suspension-wise, most will agree that the Kayaba SSS (speed sensitive system) is the best out there. The theory behind the speed sensitive system is instead of relying on the position of the forks in their stroke, 90 percent of the damping is metered by the speed with which the forks are traveling. The shock features a titanium spring and a kashima coating that is very works-like. What's also great is the stock stuff is very adjustable, yet is very comfortable stock for a wide range of riders.

Engine-wise, this is all personal preference. Honda and Yamaha have kind of traded places over the years as for how their engine's put out power. First, the YZF had the brute, rip your arms off powerband, while the CRF was a mellower beast that was easy to tame. They have since switched places basically, and now the Honda has a more tiring powerband while the Yamaha still makes gobs of power, but gives each pony out with such smoothness it's very easy to go fast on. The YZF is also the most vibration-free dirtbike out there. It's harmonic counterbalancers are so in sync it's incredible. No vibration.

Both 450's have been out long enough that the reliability is up there for both of them. The YZF series has been stone reliable since the inception of the YZ400F in 1998, while the CRF has worked out a few bugs over the years so that now it can compare with the Yamaha. The major thing is with oil. The Honda comes with a more rigerous maintenance schedule, because it only holds a total of around 650cc of engine/tranny oil...while the Yamaha (and most other brands) carry near 1300cc. As long as you check it and change it often, you will be good to go. Both '07 models feature a sight window in the crankcase that is fairly reliable and easy to check.

You can't go wrong with either bike. I just love Yamaha. :worthy:

• motopastor

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:20 PM

Who let you on here....Idaho Chump. Ridden your new bike much?

Chump? Talking brave in another state!

You forgot to mention how stinking cold it gets in Idaho! It even snowed yesterday!

I've heard that there is a great track call OMC that I hope to check out soon. I'm still trying to find some moto friends. There are several desert racers & riders in my church...but that type of riding is crazy! Give me moto any day. We just added a link on my churches web site called motopastor. Check it out at www.cfcnampa.org. We will add one of my motos from the 04AZ International race soon too.

Stop by some time...or are you yella?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:26 PM

The CRF separates the engine and transmission oil supplies. On the one hand, this is a good thing, because the choice of oils that will hold up in a pure engine application is greater than for a shared engine/trans like the YZF, and transmission and clutch debris are kept away from the engine. Plus, the trans can carry a gearbox-specific lubricant as well. But the CRF carries only 700cc of oil in the engine, so it gets dirty just as fast, as needs to be changed just as often. Plus, the CRF is a wet sump, so the efficiency of the oiling system is more dependent on oil level than the dry sump system of the YZF.

The '06/7 YZF carries a total oil supply of 1200cc, the Honda's two oil supplies add to 1150. But it's not as even as it looks, because the YZF can easily loose half its oil and continue to lube perfectly well. A CRF can't afford to loose more than 200cc of engine oil under any circumstance.

And there is no sight window in any YZ450F model.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for clearing up some misconceptions I had about the bikes, Gray.

• RAMARION

Posted December 02, 2006 - 04:03 PM

whatever bike you purchase, you'll think it's the BEST bike EVER.

THEY ARE ALL THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.