426 backfire and hesitation

2 replies to this topic
  • 30-A rider

Posted December 01, 2006 - 11:59 AM

On my 426 I get a hesitation when I juice it hard....

Then when letting off throttle in gear I get some back firing...

Bike has little hours on it as I bought it , then moved to different state, then opened a business etc etc. so my bike may have 30 hours on the motor.

Any ideas? This is my first 4 stroke MX bike, before this bike it has always been 2 strokes, so Im a novice to this style of bike.

Thanks for any input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted December 01, 2006 - 12:16 PM

The backfiring (lean-popping) indicates that the it is running lean, but doesn't necessarily mean that it is running too lean...a little bit of lean-popping is not unusual.

As far as the hesitation when hitting the gas goes...that is a normal symptom also that can usually be adjusted to a minimum with the fuel screw.

So my answer is that if it is not lean-popping too much and if you can adjust your fuel screw and idle to minimize the hesitation or bog then you should be okay. Beyond that it sounds like you need to make a jetting change. I am by no means a jetting guru so I won't try to address that but there is a whole section here on TT regarding jetting. Do a search on the fuel screw to find out how to optimize that adjustment.

Good luck!

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:42 PM

You may want to pull the carb and clean it. A partially restricted pilot jet will cause the same symptoms that your having. FCR's are very sensitive to dirt, gum and varnish.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.