Bar diameter and GPS Mounts

11 replies to this topic
  • evomx971

Posted December 01, 2006 - 11:19 AM

I want to put a set of RSW top triple clamps on my XR650L and a set of nice bars. I like Pro Tapers and would like to put those on but would also like to install a GPS and mount at some point. It looks like most GPS mounts are set up for 7/8 bars. Are any of you running a GPS mount on Pro-Tapers? Is there enough 7/8 bar on the ends of a Pro Taper bar to get a GPS mount on there, especially on the L where the bars are kind of busy with switches and perches?

Thanks!
Kelly

• tommyj92028

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I have a garmin 176c that uses a RAM mount. RAM makes the mounts that have the rubber coated balls. I got the "U" shaped clamp that fits bars from 3/4" to 1 1/4" and use it on the "fat" part of the bar by the bar clamp. I'll try to post some pictures. RAM makes all kinds of stuff, so you can go on there website and find your gps model and see what they make for it. Hope that helps, Tommy

• dukeryder

Posted December 02, 2006 - 10:31 PM

^ Yup I have the Ram Mount for my Garmin V and the same ball worked on the 7/8 bars and the 11/8 Pro-Tapers.

• Boston Mangler

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:16 PM

^ Yup I have the Ram Mount for my Garmin V and the same ball worked on the 7/8 bars and the 11/8 Pro-Tapers.

I use the garmin mount for my eTrex and it works flawlessly!

It was like $11 at REI

Posted Image

• evomx971

Posted December 04, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Perfect, looks like I can go with whichever size bars I want, thanks for the info and pictures!

Kelly

• Evilfirbolg

Posted December 13, 2006 - 03:07 PM

I use the garmin mount for my eTrex and it works flawlessly!

It was like $11 at REI

Hows yer e-trex holding up? Seems the vibration is killing mine in a similar mounting place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boston Mangler

Posted December 13, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hows yer e-trex holding up? Seems the vibration is killing mine in a similar mounting place.

The eTrex is still working great and taking a hell of a beating!
:thumbsup:

I had some issues with it shutting off randomly and it turned out to be that the batteries we coming loose. I just stuffed some tissue in between the batteries and the battery cover and not a single problem since!

Whats yours doing??

:devil:

• HighRevz

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:24 AM

Garmin website.:thumbsup:

• olinmat

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Great GPS info/products at

www.cycoactive.com

• Evilfirbolg

Posted December 15, 2006 - 09:41 AM

The eTrex is still working great and taking a hell of a beating!
:thumbsup:

I had some issues with it shutting off randomly and it turned out to be that the batteries we coming loose. I just stuffed some tissue in between the batteries and the battery cover and not a single problem since!

Whats yours doing??

:devil:

The exact same thing, and I did the exact same thing, then sometimes the screen gets screwy. I wack it one and it gets ok then it screws up again. Weird little beasty.

• rmhrc630

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:07 PM

I want to put a set of RSW top triple clamps on my XR650L and a set of nice bars. I like Pro Tapers and would like to put those on but would also like to install a GPS and mount at some point. It looks like most GPS mounts are set up for 7/8 bars. Are any of you running a GPS mount on Pro-Tapers? Is there enough 7/8 bar on the ends of a Pro Taper bar to get a GPS mount on there, especially on the L where the bars are kind of busy with switches and perches?

Thanks!
Kelly

try this
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• evomx971

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:51 PM

nice setup, thanks for posting!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.