KX or KLX fork coversation for KDX

16 replies to this topic
  • SteveWR450F

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I have an 04 KDX 220. Have read a few threads about converting over to a inverted KX or KLX fork The KLX fork interests me because it would be easier to run the headlight which I like to have on in the woods - helps prevents head on collisions.

Anyway, as I understand I would need to get off ebay:

- forks, axle, front wheel, top tripple clamp - press KDX stem into KX/KLX stem. Brake rotor

Are the KLX forks shorter? I have heard that the KX forks are one inch longer and that could mess up the bike geomentry.

My question, is that for an 04 and given that I want to run a headlight what would be easier.

Thanks for your time and input. Steve
Money - somewhat - is not an object. A grand or less total for conversation. I got plenty of time. Good winter project.

• foots

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Steve I don't think KLX forks are what you want. Late model KX forks would be the hot setup between the two. Unless you like beefy conventionals

Posted Image

• MXOldtimer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Here's the place to go to get all your KDX fork swap info.:worthy:

http://www.kdxrider....forum.php?f=104

• KDXer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Here's the place to go to get all your KDX fork swap info.:worthy:

http://www.kdxrider....forum.php?f=104

Yup, that is the place to go.

I know very little about KLX forks, from what I have heard KX's are superior. For a headlight most people just buy a $40 aftermarket UFO twin headlight that mounts with rubber straps.

Yup, you need forks, triples, front wheel/axle and brake rotor from the same year of KX, newer the better. Press out the KX stem, press in the KDX stem into the lower KX triple (sometimes there is a sloppiness problem, read up). The only custom work involves the stem to upper triple clearance and spacing, not a big deal and can be remedied by shim/washers, or a machined spacer if you have machine shop capabilities.

You would be hard pressed to spend a $1000 on this swap. More like $400, then if you sell your stock stuff for $200, you will only be into it for $200. Some people have done it for more, some for less, it all depends on what kind of deals you can get on the components.

Check out kdxrider (you must register to get access to everything), you will read till your eyes bleed, I had all my stuff on order within a week of reading that site, so beware.....:D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• KDXer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Steve I don't think KLX forks are what you want. Late model KX forks would be the hot setup between the two. Unless you like beefy conventionals

Posted Image

I think you have a sweet setup there foots, I have been riding my buddy's RMX lately a bit, the forks feel real nice.

• SteveWR450F

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:06 AM

Quick question - KX 125 or 250 forks. Are they the same? I will look for 2000 - current forks on ebay. Any years better than others?

• KDXer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:28 AM

99-current is what you want, I think it goes 99-02, then 03-current as far as models go.

250's typically have stiffer valving and springs than 125's (but both are typically going to be valved too stiff anyways, the KX125 springs will probably be close depending on your weight).

• foots

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I think you have a sweet setup there foots, I have been riding my buddy's RMX lately a bit, the forks feel real nice.

Thanks !! I had a 95 RMX and never could get a handle on the USD forks on it. My DRZ made me a believer in the 49 Showas. Heck if I can get them to work good on that overweight hoss I figured they would be a dream on the KDX. This set was sitting in a corner collecting dust anyway. I think some flex is needed offroad. And I assume Scott Summers does too as he ran XR conventionals on his CRF450 when he tried a comeback.

• KDXer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:47 AM

My buddy's RMX is a 1997 with conventionals on it, do you know what size they are?

• SteveWR450F

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:20 PM

Found some 04 KX 250 4 stroke forks on ebay. Are they the same as the 2 smoke forks? Would they work for the KDX conversation?

• KDXer

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Conversation or conversion? he he, just giving you a hard time.

I have heard they will work, but don't know the specifics.

• deadbeat son

Posted December 02, 2006 - 09:22 AM

Conversation or conversion? he he, just giving you a hard time.

I have heard they will work, but don't know the specifics.

Obviously "conversation." Everyone seems to be talking about it here... :worthy:

-JP

• SteveWR450F

Posted December 02, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Sorry. Quick typing when I should really be working instead. I spend too much time at this site but its a great source of information. Thanks for the input.

• KDXer

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:42 AM

So is it becoming more clear on the stuff you need?

• KDXer

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:44 AM

My buddy's RMX is a 1997 with conventionals on it, do you know what size they are?

I figured it out, 46mm Showa conventionals. Foots, your 49's must be massive!

• vinilla gorilla

Posted December 02, 2006 - 12:50 PM

I absolutely love my KLX fork conversion and it worked beautifully with the headlight, I night ride all the time. I'd go for it if I were you

• Byte

Posted March 22, 2009 - 12:19 AM

Found some 04 KX 250 4 stroke forks on ebay. Are they the same as the 2 smoke forks? Would they work for the KDX conversation?

ANyone comment on this quote?

Byte

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.