How do I....

12 replies to this topic
  • Kyle Prior

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:05 PM

:Get the clutch basket off of the motor? I have the tool, but that nut just won't budge, not with the breaker bar, not with an impact gun, not with anything. Im stumped on how Yamaha can build something impossible to remove that they know will need to be taken off. I dont need to take it off, but its the only way to get my new crankshaft in, since it has that key and everything. Somebody who has done this before and figured it out please help me. I need to get my bike back running soon, and this is just holding me up... Thanks. :bonk: :prof: :D :worthy:

• Ud_Luz

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'm not familiar with your particular bike but is the nut reverse threaded? It is on a lot of bikes.

An impact gun should easily remove the nut.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Which direction are you turning it?

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Usually there is a lock washer that gets bent up on to the nut that holds the basket on. You need to take a screw driver, bend the washer down on all sides, and then use the impact gun.

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Im turning it left... like any other nut. Is is a reverse threaded nut? The Clymer's manual didnt say anything about it being reverse. I also have bent the lockwasher, it just wont budge. The front sprocket nut was the same way, and I ended up cutting off, and ordering a new nut.

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I normally use an air impact (usually my 3/8" drive Snap-On) and hold the boss by hand with a rag. Cranks right off. Not sure where you went wrong, or what the trouble was; I wasn't there. I've never had a problem, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:21 AM

I normally use an air impact (usually my 3/8" drive Snap-On) and hold the boss by hand with a rag. Cranks right off. Not sure where you went wrong, or what the trouble was; I wasn't there. I've never had a problem, though.

I cut my hand trying to hold the boss before, so I figured out that if I leave the plates in and put just a little pressure on the first fiber plate, then I could remove the nut without the boss moving.

After you remove the nut, then you can pull the plates out, boss, washer and the basket.

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 01, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Thankls for the help guys, I guess that my impact is just a piece of junk. Its a cheapo Harbor Frieght one. I guess Im going to have to get my brother to bring his Snap-On home from work.

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Air pressure makes a huge difference, too. Most impacts are meant to run at least 90 psi.

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:10 PM

We do have a very good compressor, and it was at 90psi, but that impact was done. Got my brother's Snap-On, and it came right off.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:23 PM

We do have a very good compressor, and it was at 90psi, but that impact was done. Got my brother's Snap-On, and it came right off.

Sweet man you got it! Hurry up and finish so we can go riding when I get home! :worthy:

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:42 PM

Sweet man you got it! Hurry up and finish so we can go riding when I get home! :worthy:

Im working on it all day tomorrow, so it should hopefully be ready for a nice Sunday ride...

• StevePierson

Posted December 02, 2006 - 11:20 AM

Thankls for the help guys, I guess that my impact is just a piece of junk. Its a cheapo Harbor Frieght one. I guess Im going to have to get my brother to bring his Snap-On home from work.

Harbor Frieght = Chinese tools which are total SHIT. :worthy: I have yet to ever get a china sourced hand tool that was anything other than total crap. Reason why I say this, just got my index finger punctired because of an old 12 point socket that strippped then cracked, slammed my hand into a exhaust manifold studd.
:D happens all the time,, just threw the whole socket set in the recycle bin.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.