Front brake stuck

3 replies to this topic
  • tunaeater

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:31 PM

I took my bike, 2001 XR650r out for a ride today, but didn't get very far. After about 1.5 miles in 5th gear 3/4 throttle I noticed my bike wasn't going like it should. I opened it up all the way and the power was not there.When I let off the throttle I felt the bike slowing down from the front wheel. I came to a stop and got off the bike. Looking at my brakes I noticed they started to smoke. I squeezed the front brake lever and it was hard. About 10 minutes later the brake pads freed up and felt like they released. The problem I noticed next was the front brake rotor was warped and rubbing agaisnt the caliper. The rotor is flat in the center and warped around the edges kinda like a bowl. My only thought was it got very very hot.
Anybody experience or heard of anything like this before.

Thanks,
Paul

• frankstr

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like you need to rebuild the caliper possibly...
Oh yeah, You'll need a new rotor now...:worthy:

:D :prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted December 01, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Maybe it started off with a bent rotor that went un noticed.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:45 AM

If you have handguards that touch the end of the lever, this can cause the front brake not to release all the way (or on the clutch, the clutch not to engage if you have a hydr clutch).

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.