Exhaust

20 replies to this topic
  • Bleeds_Blue

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:07 PM

This last Saturday, I bought a new 2006 WR450F and have many questions. I just started the bike up and in less than 5 minutes, the front pipe was glowing orange. Is this normal?

• mattfree99

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:21 PM

I bet there is something wrong with the jetting or carb.

You will need to figure it out quick are you may be rebuilting your engine soon.

• Wasabi

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:39 PM

I hope you wear leg armor!!!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Its probably running lean. On the other hand, it might not be.

Does it run ok? If you haven't done the free mods , and the not so free ones, then you should.

Then ask your questions. You will find like I did that those mods will solve most of your concerns and curiosity.

You are in Cali like me. What works for me is 168 main jet, 48 pilot jet, JD red needle 4th position.

I originally had a 170 main jet, but it felt a little fat on the top. 168 made it much better. I also have the pmb insert. I had an FMF pipe on it, but wanted something a lot quieter. This did it the trick and its just as fast for my type of riding.

Good luck.

• Seabass

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I'd take it back and demand a new bike from the dealer. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

• slamdiilow4u

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:12 PM

No that is normal if it is running lean. Those bikes aren't meant to be sitting there idleing forever. They run hot from the factory as is. Once you let glow a couple of times the metal will kinda "get used to" the heat and won't get so red in color. It really helps if you jet it richer. The GYTR AIS kit will help tremendously.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:47 PM

The GYTR AIS kit will help tremendously.

I called 4 dealerships today and they said it is normal to glow like that, if it is sitting still. I bought an AIS removal kit today from my local Yamaha dealer.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:13 PM

I installed my AIS removal kit and found a problem... When I got to the part where is says to remove "anti-tamper plug", there was nothing there. So looked up where the fuel mixture screw is located and nothing! There's no fuel mixture screw, no wonder the bike won't run unless the choke is on. Probably why the pipe is glowing, it's running too lean, my guess. This sucks, I just bought the bike a week ago tomorrow. Screaming will commence as soon as the dealership opens in the morning. Stay away from CORONA YAMAHA, they don't know what they are doing. I'll get off the soapbox now, thanks.

• Wasabi

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Just buy an adjustable fuel screw. You should have one anyway.
Maybe you can scam one for free off them?

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 02, 2006 - 05:01 AM

I did buy an adjustable, that's how I knew what went in that empty location. I need the little parts that come with the factory one though. I'll make them pay for something, the bike is only a week old today, riden less than 1/2 mile.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smr96

Posted December 02, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Dude, Corona Yamaha says it all!!!!! I don't know how that place manages to stay in business?!!!!! That place sucks!

• Seabass

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hopefully you kicked some ass today at the dealership. It sounds like they TOTALLY hosed you.:worthy:

• meusoc45

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:51 AM

[IMG] http://groups.msn.co...599352000740448 [IMG]

[IMG]http://groups.msn.co...599352079306535[IMG]

[IMG]http://groups.msn.co...599352058181659[IMG]

[IMG]http://groups.msn.co...599352074831815[IMG]

Get rid of this stuff, makes a world of a difference.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I did all that. Waiting for o-ring, washer, and spring for fuel mixture screw before i can ride it.

• Matt22

Posted December 03, 2006 - 09:21 AM

what is all that stuff that you removed I noticed all the jets but am clueless to that piece with the hoses?

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 03, 2006 - 12:29 PM

It was the AIS.

• WB450

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:23 AM

I have a 07 YZ450 and it does the same thing, from what I've read it's normal. No my bike's not messed up it's brand new, ridden once.

• madroberts07

Posted December 04, 2006 - 10:29 AM

the reason your fuel mixture screw fell out is your pilot jet is to lean, to comp for this you had the fuel mixture screw turned out to far to get the bike to run. The reason your pipe is glowing is the bike is running to lean. you need to do all the free mods (grey wire, air box snorkel, side cut outs, throttle stop, etc. the ais removal kit should give you a yz trottle stop. Then you need to jet the bike right before you fry the motor. it comes stock with a 144 main and a 45 pilot, You need a 48 pilot, 168 main. your needle on an 06 is non adjustable so you need a JD jetting kit that comes with ajustable needles. try the red needle on the #5 clip position or the the blue needle on the #3 clip position. after all this you should be alot more happy. you will also need two open up your pipe(pmb insert) or get an after market pipe

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 04, 2006 - 03:30 PM

the reason your fuel mixture screw fell out is your pilot jet is to lean, to comp for this you had the fuel mixture screw turned out to far to get the bike to run. The reason your pipe is glowing is the bike is running to lean. you need to do all the free mods (grey wire, air box snorkel, side cut outs, throttle stop, etc. the ais removal kit should give you a yz trottle stop. Then you need to jet the bike right before you fry the motor. it comes stock with a 144 main and a 45 pilot, You need a 48 pilot, 168 main. your needle on an 06 is non adjustable so you need a JD jetting kit that comes with ajustable needles. try the red needle on the #5 clip position or the the blue needle on the #3 clip position. after all this you should be alot more happy. you will also need two open up your pipe(pmb insert) or get an after market pipe

I've never riden the bike, it won't stay running once I turn the choke off. The bike was purchased 1.5 weeks ago, and is going back tomorrow. I did all the free mods this weekend and the AIS kit. I also purchased an adjustable fuel screw, went to put it in and that's when I noticed that I had no factory screw. I would put the adjustable in and start it, but I don't have the o-ring, washer, and spring that are supposed to be transfered from the factory screw to the new one. CORONA YAMAHA sucks!

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:14 PM

Update.
I put in the adjustable fuel mixture screw, today, even though I don't have the o-ring, washer, or spring. It took a while playing with it, but the bike finally started. The front pipe didn't glow at all and it ran w/o the choke on. I adjusted the idle and went for a short ride up and down my street. Holy crap. I like this bike, a lot. Worthless dealership was supposed to pick the bike up today and fix the problem, but no show. I told them to just send me the factory screw, and included parts, but they said they wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. So now they are gonna pay a guy to drive 70 miles to pick it up, bring back to their shop(70 more miles), put in the $30 part, have the same dude bring it back to my house(70 more) and drive back to their shop(70 more). Real smart. 6 hours in driver's wages, probably 2 hours in mechanic's wages, the price of the part($30), and 280 miles worth of gas in their big delivery truck. A $.37 stamp would make me real comfortable. Oh well, not my money.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.