Rekluse Dual Brake

11 replies to this topic
  • flatnacker

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:33 PM

o.k now Im pissed-after spending freaking hours trying to get the thing bled, then spending another $400 at the bike shop trying to get them to bleed it the piece of shite still doesnt work. The brake lever still comes all the way back to the bars:mad: The bike mech reckoned that is as good as it is possible due to the size of the holes in the brake system. So has anyone out there been able to get the bar mounted rear brake to operate anywhere near as good as the front brake or have I just wasted a shite load of money?

• youngwerth

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Try this,

Back bleed the hose first. Start by pushing the rear piston all the way in with a screwdriver. Do your basic hose routing, pull the hose taught up at the bars (your trying to prevent any "loops", place for air to trap anywhere along the routing) and back bleed fluid through the hose until it's running clear. Then attach the master cylinder, hold it vertical while a collegue back bleeds slowly until fluid starts to come into the master cylinder. Then mount the master cylinder on the bars and finish filling the resevoir with back bleeding. At this point, wedge a screwdriver or a piece of wood or something between the piston in the caliper and the disk. Now you need to bleed the fittings of air. Have a collegue pump up the lever and hold it. While your collegue is holding the pumped up lever, slowly loosen each of the fittings to bleed any air. Very important: don't let your collegue let go of the lever until you get the fitting tight!

It's more difficult than a front or rear brake by itself but if you take the time, it's not that bad. A well bled single actuated system should lock the rear tire with one strong finger, the dual with two fingers.

• pops 56

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:41 PM

Yes they are sh-t .(Sell it to me:p) Have you tried the One person brake bleeders that you buy from auto shops About 10.00 dollars.or you can put a bit of hose on the calaper bleeder then to a jar of brake fluid so no air can come back up the hose. Open bleeder and pump away .Will take some time but they do work to rid air from your brakes . Or you can try to cable tie the lever back overnight to let the air out .Let us know how you get on.:worthy:

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:23 AM

Gidday Flatnacker,

I have a similar problem when I installed a rear brake set on my bike. I used a Magura clutch lever assembly for the brake, as previously pictured recently by Gregwr450f.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440657

I too must have tried to bleed the system at least ten times but just couldn't get any decent pressure on the lever. There was obviously still air in the system, so I had to think outside the square.

I hooked up a 2m length of clear plastic tube onto the nipple on the caliper. The reason the tube is so long is that you actually suck the fluid thru by mouth and need to ensure you can see the fluid coming thru, without swallowing it. Just make sure you keep topping up the resevoir until you see a nice full fluid stream thru the tube, with no bubbles.

Once you have done the above procedure, just bleed the brakes as normal.

Nigel

• essex426

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:51 AM

o.k now Im pissed-after spending freaking hours trying to get the thing bled, then spending another $400 at the bike shop trying to get them to bleed it the piece of shite still doesnt work. The brake lever still comes all the way back to the bars:mad: The bike mech reckoned that is as good as it is possible due to the size of the holes in the brake system. So has anyone out there been able to get the bar mounted rear brake to operate anywhere near as good as the front brake or have I just wasted a shite load of money?

I used a magura master cylinder on my 426,tried 2 different ones.
10.5mm & 9.5mm, i ended up with the 9.5mm bore.
I bled it using a syringe from the bleed nipple, but can now lock the wheel easily if needed.The master cylinder was a cluch one off a husky.Used magura fluid as well.

• pops 56

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Quote (The reason the tube is so long is that you actually suck the fluid thru by mouth and need to ensure you can see the fluid coming thru, without swallowing it) :D

Reminds me of the time went and got some brake fluid and a iced coffee at the local servo one night .As i drove off i took the lid of the iced coffee had a real big swig :prof: .Yep big mouthfull of brake fluid. :bonk: .Taste like SH#t.:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gregwr450f

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Quote (The reason the tube is so long is that you actually suck the fluid thru by mouth and need to ensure you can see the fluid coming thru, without swallowing it) :D

Reminds me of the time went and got some brake fluid and a iced coffee at the local servo one night .As i drove off i took the lid of the iced coffee had a real big swig :prof: .Yep big mouthfull of brake fluid. :bonk: .Taste like SH#t.:worthy:

I bet you stop better now!

• pops 56

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:28 AM

HA HA Good one.Yep. How you getting on flatnacker?

• flatnacker

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the hints so far fellas, havent tried anything yet because Ive been to frustrated after spending $400 that it still doesnt work-I figured the bike shop with their power bleeder should have at least be able to do it right or get all the air out. Think I might just give up and sell it-if anyone is interested let me know :worthy:

• pops 56

Posted December 02, 2006 - 09:21 PM

PM sent

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:42 PM

The first hand brake I had wouldnt ever bleed right, no brake at all. I got a new master and it has been nothing but good times ever since. I have the same feel with the rear as I do with the front.

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:28 AM

Once I bleed the system as described and got good pressure, it enabled me to lockup the rear end with one finger, and has alot more feel that the foot pedal ever did.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.