XR650R No longer KING of Baja???

46 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted December 02, 2006 - 10:02 PM

So does this solve the Honda mystery? There is no replacement for the 650R? How can we be sure? If there was a replacement, surely the Honda team would have just run the 650R again this year...

• wcorbett

Posted December 02, 2006 - 10:21 PM

yes i belive you are right, if they are making a replacment they would have used the '07 BRP so that they keep the same group of riders buying the bigger bikes but this year they skip the 650 even though its still here for 07. im guess that the BRP will sitll be available for the next few years like the XR400 was available around here untill last month. just my $0.02

• factorymx

Posted December 03, 2006 - 12:02 AM

You can't win em all. Give your head a shake.The 650 is and always will be the KING of the desert.HALE & long live the KING!!!

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:56 AM

?? "KTM could win easily"? I doubt it (same goes with any OEM). It takes more than fast riders and a solid bike to win down there. Honda has the logistics and crew down so well that it'd very tough for anyone to beat 'em in a long race (at this time).

There will not be a 2 thousand mile Baja race next year, no way. I'd bet about 1400 miles.
In '00 it was 1800+mi and that was a huge ordeal.

"same oil for the entire 1000 miles?" Yes. No sense in changing it regardless of bike.

• So Cal Dude

Posted December 03, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Rumor has it that next year's 1000 will be to Cabo again. By the way, the 6th OA bike was a bone stock motor, suspension was done but the motor was stock (we brought it home on our trailer). The riders had a good pit program as well as talent so they ended up with a solid finish.

• BWB63

Posted December 04, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Riders on KTM has had some serious tries in all the Baja races. The bikes just haven't done it. Close and with great irders but, the bike just isn't for the long huel.

• XR_RON

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Yes,you all brought up good points,I concur with the 450 stock never finishing the race,this has been gone over and over and over,I feel that they wanted to let the 450 win to promote sales,KTMs lc4 640 enduro is a pile of straight junk,no matter whats said the XR650/600s Baja wins will never be approached by another bike,I dont think.

• motochris

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:38 PM

Didja see Oglivie's quote in Cycle News this week? Something to the effect of....."If the guys (Team Honda riders) weren't convinced about the 450X before, they are now. The 450X finishes better than the 650's ever did. It's still tight, fresh and strong"

• Mudshark

Posted December 04, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Didja see Oglivie's quote in Cycle News this week? Something to the effect of....."If the guys (Team Honda riders) weren't convinced about the 450X before, they are now. The 450X finishes better than the 650's ever did. It's still tight, fresh and strong"

yeah..... I wonder how much Honda paid them to say that..... :worthy:

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:24 PM

Yeah I noticed it. If it were true, he wouldn't have to say it. It would just be a given.

I think that the two kids, Norman and Bell, have no problem with the 450 because they are MXers, used to riding off road bikes built off of a mx platform.

But, I bet if you asked Henge and Childress what bike they could ride in Score and BITD they would still pick the 650R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted December 04, 2006 - 06:23 PM

yeah..... I wonder how much Honda paid them to say that..... :worthy:

Lots $$$$$$

• nickreal

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:31 PM

It would be cool if there was a stock class where the bikes couldn't be modified. We know who would win that one. :worthy:

• Chopp

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:43 AM

It would be cool if there was a stock class where the bikes couldn't be modified. We know who would win that one. :worthy:

Not only that, but it would really give the winning bike manufacturer a place in the spot light. We just have to find a way to equalize all the riders too!! If that was possible we would really be able to see which bike rules whatever race.... wishful thinking I know.

• motochris

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:15 AM

Not only that, but it would really give the winning bike manufacturer a place in the spot light. We just have to find a way to equalize all the riders too!! If that was possible we would really be able to see which bike rules whatever race.... wishful thinking I know.

Geeeezzz....who gives a crap about "what" wins Baja....it's about WHO wins Baja. If you buy your bike based on how it does at the races.....

• eastreich

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:56 AM

Geeeezzz....who gives a crap about "what" wins Baja....it's about WHO wins Baja. If you buy your bike based on how it does at the races.....

:worthy:

• surfnride

Posted December 07, 2006 - 11:46 AM

But, I bet if you asked Henge and Childress what bike they could ride in Score and BITD they would still pick the 650R.

While pre-running with one of those guys...I did ask...the answer was " I would pick the mans bike"

• Betopro

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:32 PM

"Long Live The King" XR650 are like Camels in the desert they can go for ever with very little maintenance. You all know what KTM means? "Kan't Take Mexico"

• painkilla

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:35 PM

if they made a wrf600 or 650 the picture would be very blue

• motochris

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:37 PM

if they made a wrf600 or 650 the picture would be very blue

Highly doubtful. It's the entire team effort that is winning in Baja, not the bike. Yamaha couldn't put together a team that would be competitive any time soon.

• painkilla

Posted December 07, 2006 - 02:24 PM

yeah i guess,

im not 100% familiar with the baja operations,since im on the opposite side of the world,but i do follow

however i would love to see 1 man , 1 machine and a 1000 miles of dust
with no outside help allowed ..how cool would that be

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.