front and rear springs?

8 replies to this topic
  • electroman

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I was wondering how many of the big fellas have re-sprung there bikes. I am 6 foot and 230 lbs. the bike handles good when doing normal trail riding but dives a little to much in corners and bottoms out when landing small jumps. I just wanted to know what others have done and where you get heavier springs.:worthy:

• Cirus

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:40 PM

I'm 6'1" and 235lbs and I'm running 6.0 in the back and .50's up front. The front felt pretty good stock going slow but it bottomed pretty easily when hitting rocks and creekbeds at 30mph. I couldn't get the right sag in the back with the stock spring until I changed it out.

• Wasabi

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:06 PM

I'm 6'1" and 235lbs and I'm running 6.0 in the back and .50's up front. The front felt pretty good stock going slow but it bottomed pretty easily when hitting rocks and creekbeds at 30mph. I couldn't get the right sag in the back with the stock spring until I changed it out.

Me too, 6'2" and 240 running the same springs.

I found I had to get a revalve front and back, because the stock valving is so soft (ment for 160 - 170lbs). I shouldn't have even bothered to try to get it right, as the revalve front and back was 1000x better than I ever got it. I tried oil weights, heights, clicker settings... but it is hard to correct poor valving. I got pissed off with it in the end and sent it away. Best thing I ever did. :worthy:

Electroman, I recommend you spend a bit of money on suspension tuning, especially if you are "our" size. You will find you can do way more on your bike, it makes it so much more confidence inspiring. :D

• MountainMax

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:23 PM

I'm 6'4" and 245-250 ish and I too ordered a set of .5 fronts as my front bottome out all the time over small stuff, I left the rear alone for now, though I cranked her up and stiffened up the dampning....

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snmhanson

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I am a bit lighter than the rest at ~200 lbs but I had my suspension done and it was night and day, especially for track riding (at a really mellow track). I kept the stock front spring and went to a 5.8 (I think) in the back and also had both ends revalved. Now the suspension is plush, it corners better, it absorbs bumps better and is just an all around better handling bike. I say spend the $$ and you will be happy. I think it is generally agreed upon that suspension is the #1 non-free/cheap mod you can do to improve your bike.

Matt

• Wasabi

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I think it is generally agreed upon that suspension is the #1 non-free/cheap mod you can do to improve your bike.

Hehe, do this and you WILL need more power!!!!
The bike will do exactly what you want it too! You can push it harder than you ever thought possible! :worthy:

Even for sedate trail riding, it makes things a ton more comfortable, suspension mods are not just for racers.....

• davemo94

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I'm at 6'-4" and 235 lbs.

I just swapped out my springs for 0.48's in the forks and a 5.8 for the shock (actually need a 6.0 for the shock because I can't get the sag just right, but I'll switch that out in the next couple weeks).

Makes a world of difference in all types of riding so far. Turns better since the weight is properly distributed between both wheels; tracks way better through whoops since the suspension doesn't load up; and can handle jumps way better than stock (far less bottoming).

Numerous options to get the springs. I went through MX-Tech cause they're local to me. Great service there...I would highly recommend them. :worthy:

Swapping the springs out was easier than I expected. I highly recommend this mod, best $200 i've spent so far :D

• electroman

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Thanks fellas what are some of the prices to expect, and places to get good deals. I race Mo, Ks scrambles and the stock bike for me handles like :worthy: thanks for all the help and comments.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:22 AM

I'm 5-9, 210 and the bike dives WAYYYY too much when turning. Even worse, the bike rides lower in the stroke making it more difficult to bounce over obstacles that you hit on the trail.

I bought front and rear springs from RaceTech (www.racetech.com). The set was $200 and took a couple of hours to put in.

I really need a revalve, but the springs are more important.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.