06 WR 450 Suspension adjusters?

14 replies to this topic
  • Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:04 PM

I just recently bought a new 06 WR 450, and the dealer did not have any more owner's manuals left (they will get one to me by saturday) and I don't know which suspension adjusters do what. And this high and low speed compression adjustment is new to me due to the fact that this is the only bike I have ever owned that had these features.

Where is the hi/low speed compression adjusters on the rear shock?? I would like to start adjusting it to my liking, and to see how it affects the ride.

• clark4131

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Check the performance index for manuals...SC

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:22 AM

I looked at the online manual and could not find the adjuster for high speed compression. It only tells you how to dissassemble the shock. I know the normal compression adjustment is on the resivior and the rebound is on the bottom of the shock, but where is the high speed adjustment? Is it all just one thing that is predetermined or is there a separate adjustment???

• handlebar

Posted November 30, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I looked at the online manual and could not find the adjuster for high speed compression. It only tells you how to dissassemble the shock. I know the normal compression adjustment is on the resivior and the rebound is on the bottom of the shock, but where is the high speed adjustment? Is it all just one thing that is predetermined or is there a separate adjustment???

the high speed adjustment on the shock is the blue "nut" around the low speed compresion screw at the top of the shock.Just turn with a wrench(17mm I think?)

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:07 PM

REAlly? Thanks. Does it click like the others or does it have an infinite adjustablility? And what does it affect wether increasing or deacreasing it???

• handlebar

Posted November 30, 2006 - 01:56 PM

REAlly? Thanks. Does it click like the others or does it have an infinite adjustablility? And what does it affect wether increasing or deacreasing it???

From 0 to about 3 turns...no clicking.Counterclockwise=decrease high speed compression. Clockwise=increase high speed compression
It is used mainly for high speed movements in the rear shock that occur during jumping and hitting square edge type bumps like root ledges and rocks.Just play around with it .You will notice its affect.:worthy:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 30, 2006 - 02:13 PM

Oh man this bike is awesome!!!!! I love it!!!!! HUGE improvment in handling over the XR and even though the throttle stop is still in, the power is great!

I can't wait to get the different throttle stop and disconnect the grey wire, right now it can barely do wheelies in first gear.

Does removing the AIS decrease performance in anyway???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • handlebar

Posted November 30, 2006 - 02:29 PM

You won't even think its the same bike after you do the mods....it's wheelies 1st thru 4th gear anytime after:applause: :worthy: Remove the ais there is NO performance decrease and it will help eliminate deceleration poping.Its just there for emissions control.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:02 PM

What I meant to ask is does it GAIN performace when removed. If not I am just going to leave it because the popping does not bother me.

• Cirus

Posted December 01, 2006 - 02:38 AM

I did all the free mods plus removed the AIS and it made a world of difference but after coming off a YZF450 I still craved more power so I slapped on a FMF Powercore w/Powerbomb header and a JD jet kit. What a monster:eek:

• gjw-WR450

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:12 AM

I also have an 06 WR450. How do you change the throttle stop? What is the AIS?

• Brent McCabe

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:46 AM

Check the performance index for manuals...SC

I have spent a great deal of time studying the owners manual and I still don't understand all of the adjustments that can be made to the suspension on my '06 WR450. This is my first bike. I have made all the mod's other "TT'rs" have recommended and as soon as I roll the throttle, this thing explodes into action. If I may ask one more question, please: I read a thread that said that the WR450 doesn't have the suspension for MX like a YZ450. When I bought my bike the salesman told me that the WR suspension for 2006 was the same as for a YZ. The reason I chose the WR over the YZ was because, if I'm going to spend $7,000. on a bike, I wanted to be able to use it on the road as well.
Thank you for your help.

• handlebar

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:38 AM

When I bought my bike the salesman told me that the WR suspension for 2006 was the same as for a YZ. .

There both made by Kayaba but the WR fork is a cartridge design and the yz fork is a twin chamber design. A cartridge fork is older technology but can be made to work good IMO.The wr fork from the factory is much softer than the yz fork.If you weigh over about 170 and are going to MX your WR you will need some suspension work.:worthy:

• bullybull9

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:20 PM

the manual doesn't mention or show anything about the compresion adjustments ,, where are they ,, on the bottom of the fork?

• Seabass

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:23 PM

I also have an 06 WR450. How do you change the throttle stop? What is the AIS?

The search function is your friend. There have been numerous threads showing how to do these and many other mods. Good luck!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.