What chain for 650R? 60% street 40% dirt

20 replies to this topic
  • PIP RC51

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:41 PM

I just got my R a month ago and am planning on plating it. I will end up with 60/40 street/dirt riding. I just had it in the woods for the first time last weekend. It has a o-ring chain and I bustid it 5 minutes into my maiden voyage. It has a 13 front and 48 rear on now from previous owner. I plan to get set of supermoto 17's for street with smaller rear sprocket on it but would like to keep the 13 front for easiness of wheel swap. I want something strong that will withstand mud and grime from time to time and still be smooth for the road supermoto trips.

What brand do yinz' suggest? riveted or master linked? O-ring vs standard?

And I noticed that my fork seals are leaking (when I had it strapped down in truck). Is there aftermarket ones out there that are better than stockers?
What weight oil is recommended for the forks and how many cc's?

Thanks.........PIP

• simon@vic

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:58 PM

did x or o-ring.

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:03 PM

DID 520 VM X-ring, 110 links standard size. ~$80

• surfnride

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:07 PM

snapped chain, blown fork seals...hope you got a good deal..

• ej67ss

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:19 PM

DID X ring they only last about a year but i have never broken one!!

• rcnutt

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:11 PM

where can you find a vm for 80 bucks? link please.........thanks:ride:

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:23 PM

Nothing less tha a DID ERV3 (or an ERV2, same thing). Staked link only.

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:49 PM

VM Xring is rated within a 100lbs. tensile strength of ERV2. Both only last about a season. the VM is 85 bucks at Rocky Mountain and the ERV is about twice that much. Staked link is what comes with either chain.

• 1Hondalover

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Where are you guys coming up with the DID ERV x-ring only lasting one season? I just replaced my 2 1/2 year old ERV2 with an ERV3. I have NEVER lubed the 2 except for a little WD40 after a wash to keep it shiny.

I broke it in two places just for giggles when I took it off and there was still a ton of grease inside. I have a friend who needed to change the gearing on his 450X so he got some clip-style master links to put it back together. What a knucklehead :worthy:

DID ERV forever!

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:50 PM

One season is a lot of miles(5k) in the desert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:36 PM

For the street you are going to want higher gearing. Get a 14 and 15 front sprocket. 13 for the tight stuff, 14 for more mild trails, and a 15 for the street. It's relatively easy to change the front sprocket.

You guys sound really tough on chains. My last chain, a RK O-ring, lasted for 4 years of riding every weekend. It wasn't even that bad when I replaced it, but the sprockets were shot. I got somewhere between 15 to 20 thousand miles on it. I always run a steel rear though and I think this has a lot to do with the long life.

• HawkGT

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I'm with the DID ERV3 (or ERV2) crowd. Best chain money can buy, IMO.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 30, 2006 - 01:15 PM

Use a quality O-ring or X ring and use a masterlink. I know guys with everything you can do to an XR650R who use masterlinks and never have a problem. Shoot, I had a 1972 KZ900 drag bike with 1140cc's and everything else and for gearing changes sometimes I had 3 masters in it and it ran 9s....never broke a master!

On the seals yes do a search and yuoll find good seals. On the gearing, one of my XRs is a supermoto and you need at least 14~45 to get less revs and vibes on the freeway at 70 so go at least 14~45, I am at 14~42 and my SM XR does about 110mph....and is very nice at 70.

• PIP RC51

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Thanks. I feel that a riveted chain prob would be less likely to bust IMO. At least that is all I run on my RC51 but I am not scared of a master linked chain. I will look into the DID ERV3.

What sprocket combo will a standard size 110 link chain fit? If I get a riveted chain and am swaping between 13/48 for woods and Oh maybe a 15/45 for street I don't wanna have to break chains to swap.

• PIP RC51

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Thanks. I feel that a riveted chain prob would be less likely to bust IMO. At least that is all I run on my RC51 but I am not scared of a master linked chain. I will look into the DID ERV3. Any vender in particular that you guys have used? My sprockets look great but I always usually change them with new chains....... Thoughts?

What sprocket combo will a standard size 110 link chain fit? If I get a riveted chain and am swaping between 13/48 for woods and Oh maybe a 15/45 for street I don't wanna have to break chains to swap.

PIP

• Jon-D

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Contact Travis 37 at trackside if you need a chain. His prices have always been competitive and his customer service is second to none. He has always treated me real good and has also been a member of this site for a few years now.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:42 PM

http://www.chaparral...065BA462BCBAD5F

• motopsycho650

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:43 PM

The cheapest I've ever seen...
http://www.chaparral...065BA462BCBAD5F

• PIP RC51

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:34 AM

I understand that a stock chain is a 110 link.............. Right???

What sprocket combo's will a standart chain fit?

I plan on running 13/48 woods, 15/45 supermoto

PIP

• xplore

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hello sir,
You might want to look at rockymountain mc atv. They have x-ring chains that are about the cheapest made by "primary drive" right around $50. The tensile strength is given and it is about the same as all the rest. They are good people to order from, and their cataloge is pretty good, like chap.
The stock chain is a 110. You can use that I know up to a 15-45. However if you go to a 15-40 you need a 108 chain. If you keep switching between dirt and road the 14-45 and 15-45 combo's work pretty good. If you get out on the highway or you know you will have a while of street riding try the 15-40. You may like it. And surprisingly enough it isn't too bad for desert riding, or more open stuff. You can cruise at 75 and 80mph with no problem, and at 55 mph you can finally shift into 5th gear if you are just cruising around. You also get pretty good mileage at 52 mpg, you get 48 with 15-45. And you can carry wheelies for a long time in second, with a little help from the clutch.
It is amazing that if you stay out of the dirt and mud your chain and sprockets last soooo much longer. Even the sliders last a lot longer. I mean a lot! Thousands of miles longer. Just dual sporting "to work and trails I could only get a year out of any chain and steel sprockets. Didn't matter. And that was totally wasted chain and sprockets. "Stretching big time and sometimes broke off teeth in back."
I bet you are going to have a good time with yours. Let us know how it turns out with a picture or something.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.