More Power From Grey Wire Mod?

12 replies to this topic
  • CRF45OX

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hi, Ive just bought myself a 03 WR450 and it has a wileyco exhaust, jetted to suit, airbox mods, throttle stop mod and thats all i can think of right now,

Anyway today i disconnected the grey wire hoping to squeeze some more power out of it and i found really no difference at all, actually im not sure if it had more power when it was connected, she pulls back hard and wheelies under power in first, second and third but looses a bit of balls in fourth and fifth, and i was hoping to get enough power gain from the grey wire mod to make it wheelie under power in fourth and fifth.

does this mod only apply to later model wr's? is it because the 03 model cdi dosent have the yz mapping in it at all? will an aftermarket cdi give me the fourth and fifth gear grunt that im after?

Im thinking about reconnecting the grey wire tomorrow because i didnt notice any difference, by the way, im certain i disconnected the correct wire - theres only 1 grey wire.

Thanks in Advance.

• Wasabi

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:18 PM

I am pretty sure it is only for '05+ aussie models.
Are you absolutely sure it did nothing?

On my '05, it just cleaned up the mid range a bit where Yamaha messed around with it for DB and EPA testing.

Not a big difference at all, but just runs a bit smoother and cleaner through mid as I say.

• CRF45OX

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:31 PM

ill get back to ya tomorrow when i reconnect it and tell you if it made a diff, but im pretty sure it done nothing at all, what else can i do to get the wheel up from power in fourth and fifth without changing sprocket size?

• Wasabi

Posted November 30, 2006 - 03:58 AM

Hotcams or YZ exhaust cam!

• snowman02

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:24 AM

I have an 02' WR426 did all mods except for grey wire last year whwn i first bought it. Had seat and tank off last weekend, figured i'd unhook the grey wire. Test rode it and it about killed me, i wasnt expecting the power gain i got from it. It works on the 02', so i would think that it should help with 03' as well.

• CRF45OX

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:50 PM

i reconnected it today and i couldnt really tell any difference - i only took it for a quick spin today so ill have a proper ride tomorrow and see how it goes, if it does make a diff then its hardly noticable on my bike anyway.

So a hotcams is what i need hey, well i might do some research into it - any other mods that i should consider?

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wasabi

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:19 PM

i reconnected it today and i couldnt really tell any difference - i only took it for a quick spin today so ill have a proper ride tomorrow and see how it goes, if it does make a diff then its hardly noticable on my bike anyway.

So a hotcams is what i need hey, well i might do some research into it - any other mods that i should consider?

Thanks.

You should have noticed it straight away... well I can. As I said, I don't think it works on the pre '05's here.

As for mods, I will PM you what I have done.....

• specialk6r

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:41 PM

I've got an 03' too, and I wasn't sure whether the gains were just in my head or not. I did all the free mods before throwing a leg over the bike (bought it in the winter) and I haven't had a big bike in a few years, so I was a bit overwhelmed with the power either way.

I'd say if you're not impressed with the power of the bike with the wire attached, disconnecting it isn't going to blow you away.

• CRF45OX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the PM Wasabi, much appreciated it gave me some options to consider.

specialk6r, so did you disconnect the grey wire after the other mods and didnt notice much difference? I tested my bike on the road and it was wheeling the same amount in 3rd gear as it was with the wire connected so i dont think i got a performance increase on my bike.

Wasabi, did you notice a fair bit of power gain with the vortex ignition? BTW, what are the other aussie sites? this is the only one im on at the moment.

Thanks everyone.

• CRF45OX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:49 AM

Dont get me wrong though, im very impressed with the bike and its performance, just after a little more punch for 4th and 5th gear

• Wasabi

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Wasabi, did you notice a fair bit of power gain with the vortex ignition?

The vortex ignition is awesome (small increase, moves power around, runs heaps cleaner) but I would try a YZ exhaust cam first as I am sure it will give you what you are after, I think you might be disapointed by the vortex by the sound of it if you are after more punch.
http://www.dirtbikes....php?cPath=1_32

I got the vortex to make the most of my pipe change, but it works even better with the cams as well! Wait till you do the cam swap! :worthy:

I'll PM you the Aussie sites too. :D

• specialk6r

Posted December 02, 2006 - 01:13 AM

CRF450X, that's correct. I did all the free mods except the wire, then took the bike for it's maiden ride. That night I unclipped the grey wire and rode it the next day. Couldn't tell much difference, but I rarely have the throttle against the stops anyway. In terms of wheelies, I do the majority of my pointless, showoff wheelies in 4th gear. Hacking the throttle will pick the front up just fine, but loading the suspension will get it balanced well before you're in the over-rev range. Hope some of this answered a question.

• CRF45OX

Posted December 02, 2006 - 09:37 AM

specialk6r, thanks for your info, thats what i wanted to know, im not the only one with an 03 model wr that doesnt feel much of a performance gain from the grey wire mod.

Wasabi - again just what i wanted to hear, now i know what i need, a Hotcams!

I took my wr for a good 4 hour ride today, absolutely awesome, although my back tyre is pretty low and i could use some more grip, but i noticed that i could definately use some more power for 4th and 5th gear!
When i finally got some grip in 3rd - i wished it pulled that hard in 4th and fifth, im a bit of a power freak!!!

By the way, did you get the cam with the auto decompressor, or the standard one? That yz cam looks well priced but i think i better go all out and go for a hotcam, id most likely be happier in the long run, is it cheaper in oz or get one strait from the states?

And another thing, today was pretty much the first time i took me bike out for a proper spin, and i found that the throttle was very touchy, at low revs, there was either nothing or a slight punch - if that makes sense at all. I found that it wasent very smooth of idle speed at all. small punch or nothing basically, is that normal or do i need some jet fine tuning?

Thanks again everyone, your have been a great help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.