RE: Yamaha's New Larger Front Brake Rotor Kit

16 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hey guys, just browsed the WR450 accessories from yamaha and found an oversized front brake kit, anyone here get or try out one?

It says it's a 270 mm over stock 245 isn't it? Is that gonna be noticible difference in stoping power?

http://www.yamaha-mo...oup=M&model=556

Posted Image

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:25 PM

not for the price

• MountainMax

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:27 PM

That's a canadian price and it's less then most kits I have seen...... only thing it's not a wave rotor. :worthy:

the us link is here> much cheaper down there at only $176.95 USD http://www.yamaha-mo...0/1/detail.aspx

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:04 PM

What's wrong with the existing brake? Have you a need to stop faster?

I do know that the rear brake is a bit touchy and way too sensitive (IMO). But I've always thought of the front as being just fine.

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hey guys, just browsed the WR450 accessories from yamaha and found an oversized front brake kit, anyone here get or try out one?

It says it's a 270 mm over stock 245 isn't it? Is that gonna be noticible difference in stoping power?

It's more for SuperMoto than regular riding.

• baha

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:30 PM

EBC is cheaper still.

I want to find the cheapest 320mm kit!

• MountainMax

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I want a better brake for doing Endo's, I find my hand gets stiff doing it with the brake on her now as i have to pull on it so hard to do them........... (no smartass comments please, lol)

• WR Bob

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:56 PM

When the stock caliper mount broke on my '06 WR450, I went to the oversize EBC kit because Yam wouldn't have the replacement part soon enough. So, in addition to getting a more robust mounting bracket, I also benefitted from the O/S rotor. IMHO, I didn't notice an appreciable difference in stopping power.
So, I would not spend the $$ for it just for the 'improved' stopping power. It was worth it for me to be able to go riding instead of waiting for the Yam part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted November 30, 2006 - 03:30 AM

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, what size did you end up using??I was trying to figure out if this would be enough or if i would have to go to the SUPER MOTARD oversize type front one...... As I like keeping my bike as 'Yamaha' as possible..........

• old man dan

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:55 AM

The bigger the rotor the greater the chance of damage, if the stock diameter stops you well enough why not stick with it.

• MountainMax

Posted November 30, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Damage to what? and it don't stop me well enough when im trying to do endos, that's why i want a bigger one....... others must want it too or they would not be selling them.........

• WR Bob

Posted November 30, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, what size did you end up using??I was trying to figure out if this would be enough or if i would have to go to the SUPER MOTARD oversize type front one...... As I like keeping my bike as 'Yamaha' as possible..........

I cannot recall the exact diameter - I think the diameter is approx. 25-30mm larger than stock.

• old man dan

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Damage to what? and it don't stop me well enough when im trying to do endos, that's why i want a bigger one....... others must want it too or they would not be selling them.........

Damage to the rotor, in a crash, is what I meant.

• SXP

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Damage to the rotor, in a crash, is what I meant.

Or from rocks if you ride in very rocky terrain. I think you are increasing your chances of tweaking the rotor with an oversize.

• MountainMax

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Ah, got ya, I never thought of that, hmmmm

• sixbey

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:07 AM

i have an oversized rotor and relocation bracket currently on my 450 and am in the process of upgrading to a wave 320 for supermoto. Make me an offer. Its just going to sit on the shelf. It is streight and looks just like the original stock unit. email me at sixbey@cox.net if interested.

• RSWR450F

Posted December 03, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Front oversize rotor WR450 2006:

http://www.rsracing..../slides/w7.html

http://www.rsracing..../slides/w6.html

RS
www.rsracing.cz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.