Factory dent in silencer?

14 replies to this topic
  • Bill Clough221

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I bought an '07 YZ450F today, and when giving it a final inspection at the dealership noticed a small dent on the underside of the silencer. When I told the dealer I wanted it replaced, he told me that is a factory manufactured dent and it is designed for clearance of the brake caliper when the suspension is fully compressed. I was not sure whether to believe him or not.

Does anyone else with an '07 have this same dent?

• skidooboy

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:27 PM

my 06 has the same recess, (read, not dent) in the cannister. normal. ski

• krony506

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Yes that dent should be there, My 07 has it also.

• NYMXer

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Your dealer and fellow forum mebers gave you the right answer.............it's normal. :worthy:

• yz_for_me

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:02 PM

That "dent" has been on every model since '98. It does look accidental, but is supposed to be there.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:05 PM

It's there for rear caliper clearance at full compression.

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:09 PM

My 07 has it as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I actually claimed that as damage on the carrier when I got mine... Good thing they only paid by the pound so I didn't make out anyway.

I would have felt guilty.

For a few minutes.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:20 PM

I actually claimed that as damage on the carrier when I got mine... Good thing they only paid by the pound so I didn't make out anyway.

I would have felt guilty.

For a few minutes.

Looked for ya up at hardrock over turkey day man.

• rexbond007

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:15 PM

i saw the the dent in my 07 on saturday and had a little panic attack for 30 sec.. then i remembered my 01 WR 250 had the same dent. LOL.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:38 PM

That's all right, after one ride I took off my radiator shroud to clean the grass out of the louvers only to find one of the radiators was smashed in shipping and you couldn't see it until you took the shroud off.

Needless to say I was talking to mr. dealer the very next day, claims he had no clue. Not so sure I believe that but they said they would take care of it and that's enough for me. :worthy:

Had it been another week, or even a couple days it would have been my problem. Good thing I didn't park it till spring. :bonk: :D :prof:

• Bill Clough221

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:02 AM

Thanks everyone. I will be taking my new (and "undented") YZF out for its maiden voyage on Saturday... my first four stroke too after 25 years of smokers....

• motobeck

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:29 AM

:worthy:

Thanks everyone. I will be taking my new (and "undented") YZF out for its maiden voyage on Saturday... my first four stroke too after 25 years of smokers....

Your in for a big treat!

Where do you ride in MA? My parents recently moved to Tolland (16 miles west of Southwick :D )

• Bill Clough221

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:10 AM

I ride mostly down or near the Cape...Sandwich, Wareham, but also behind UPS in Brockton, and also the tracks in Templeton and Rocky Hill, CT when I can afford the fees and the long drive! Also do the occasional Middleboro practice. I used to ride right in my hometown until last year but sadly they are bulldozing the track to make a skating rink... :worthy:

• motobeck

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:39 AM

Sounds like you have a few choices at least. I only make it back that way about twice a year. Does't seem like there are a whole lot of tracks in western MA? Looking fwd to Sothwick this year!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.