losing water 400f

5 replies to this topic
  • ridesblue1

Posted November 29, 2006 - 03:06 PM

hi i have a 99 yzf400 which is my first 4 stroke.on the weekend i went for a forest about a 50km ride and when i checked the water after it was below the fins does that much loss sound normal or should i get it looked at thanks

• 642MX

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:52 PM

If you don't keep enough air flowing thru the radiators they will boil some coolant out. You can use Engine Ice or Water Wetter to help prevent this, but these are performance 4 strokes and they simply run hot.

• ridesblue1

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:01 PM

thanks for your reply.we were getting along at a good pace i was mindful of the air flow or lack of.i will check it again after another ride and if it is down by half a cup or more i will see if someone can check for blown head gasket.it may have sounded like a silly post but i wont find things out unless i ask:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kylwk1500

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:28 PM

i would suggest adding on a coolant catcher. I found a factory wr one, and it looked clean, and did the trick. It is deigned to catch your overflow, and then sentit back. so it will always stay at the right level. check out the 400 in my garage. i have some pics of it

• ridesblue1

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:11 PM

thanks i might try rig something like that up it makes me alittle paranoid half expecting a seize.i have same graphics kit and just got sdg tall seat.thanks for the idea of catch tank :worthy:

• kylwk1500

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:29 PM

ya it scared the crap out of me too. But that is why they come stock on the wrs and not the yzs. They say that the yz is a motocross bike that will be ridden at high speeds most of the time (no chance for a boil over). The wr is considered a trail bike so it gets a catch bottle

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.