gytr skid plate sponge?!?

12 replies to this topic
  • warrior86

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I just got my 07 last week. I LOOOOVE it. I had the gytr skid plate sitting her since september and bolted it on the night i got it. Needless to say, one hole didnt line up so i had to drill it out to make it fit. I wasnt too happy about that considering it is GYTR and not some other aftermarket company.

Anyways, it came with some spongy thing. I put it on for this week of riding and when i did my oil change i had to take the skid plate off. The sponge just absorbs dirt oil and all kinds of muck. Is there any reason i should continue to use this foam? I really dont see what purpose is serves. thanks

• yami racer

Posted November 29, 2006 - 01:04 PM

The foam keeps mud and dirt from building up between the plate and the motor while ridding which can add cosiderable weight with all the room in there. It alo helps to lessen the noise vibrations from the motor off the skid plate upward. In short yes I would keep it in. You can use a screw driver and push the foam out of the way when doing oil changes and then it will not build up or just cut out a small section around the oil drain hole. I do not know why it did not line up mine fit perfect with no issies. Just be sure when you are putting it on to put all three bolts in loosely before cranking them down....I just bought the GYTR Glide Plate for the indoor season so I will see how that lines up...

Have fun with your '07

• kylwk1500

Posted November 29, 2006 - 02:20 PM

i did not like the idea of a big foam sponge in there either. What i did with my plate was put on an automotive door sealer tape around the edge. It definately did the trick, it doesn't hold water, and it will compress alot in the tight spots.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:09 PM

The foam keeps mud and dirt from building up between the plate and the motor while ridding which can add cosiderable weight with all the room in there.

If you don't remove and clean out the sponge periodically, it will do no good on that score. We pulled one out from over the WC plate on my son's 250F once and I got a good look at the first 12 pound sponge I had ever seen. :worthy:

We left it out.

• warrior86

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:07 PM

i just dont understand the purpose of it in the first place. I have had skidplates on numerous bikes and quads (yes, i rode quads at one sorry) and this is the first time i have ever seen such a thing. At first, i thought it was just part of the packaging but the directions said to install it. I was like &%$#@!??? i thought maybe it was a sponge to clean my truck after a day at the track, lol.

And yes, even after 3 days the sponge already weighed a few pounds. Nasty!!!

• DPW

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:20 PM

it also helps dampen some of the vibration/noise from the frame and skid plate on the '06 and '07s. I take my skid plate off every time when I change the oil so the sponge gets cleaned frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior86

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:04 PM

but its not going to harm anything without it right? it more for comfort purposes than protection right?

• warrior86

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:07 PM

and yeah, ive heard of other people having problems with the fitment as well. Wasnt enough of a problem to go through the hassle of returning it.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, mine didnt line up worth a crap either. I had to bore out the holes in the plate to line them up. I have fought and fought that POS. Finally I got a longer bolt for back hole. That has helped me a ton. I get the longer rear bolt started, then align and tighten the front two, then tighten the back one. The sponge does help quite abit with vibration noise so I keep mine in there, I just clean it out alot.

• FOX426

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:06 AM

My GYTR plate did'nt come with a sponge?:worthy:

• DPW

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:04 AM

My GYTR plate did'nt come with a sponge?:worthy:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:41 AM

Sponge talk Sponge bob.....use it to muffle sound and keep mud and rocks from filling up between the lower frame must clean it folks otherwise it is takes all of 1.75sec to remove and replace....geez

• warrior86

Posted December 02, 2006 - 01:46 PM

I am really dissapointed with the fitment of my skidplate. The only reason i went with the gytr insteal of Works is because i figured the fit would be perfect. Guess i was wrong.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.