vented fenders

4 replies to this topic
  • kcolyar

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Has anyone tried the vented front fender? I live in Moab and the heat is HOT in the summer. Was wondering what effect it might have on cooling the oil lines.

• Jackazz

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:55 PM

I have no idea what cooling affect it would have, but if you want to try it I'd suggest getting out the drill & modifying your old scratched up fender before dumping $ on a new one, that way if it doesn't work the way you want, you only "trashed" a used fender.

I used a 1" "paddle" bit to add about 5 or 6 holes to the rear of the stock fender on my KTM supermoto, but that was to help rid it of some of the headshake it had at high speeds, not for cooling. You might try drilling several series of 4 to 6 3/8" - 1/2" holes in "strips" to approximate the acerbis vented fender. My biggest concern for doing this on an actual dirt bike would be that it would allow more stuff coming off of the tire to hit / crud up the radiators. I guess you never know until you try.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Has anyone tried the vented front fender? I live in Moab and the heat is HOT in the summer. Was wondering what effect it might have on cooling the oil lines.

I run the Cycra two-piece vented front fender on my '04 WR450. I like the looks, but I also like that since the oil tank is in the frame downtube the fender lets a little extra air onto it. I have never had cooling problems, but that probably has more to do with my use of Engine Ice and the installation of the Boyesen water pump cover and impeller kit.:worthy:

• kcolyar

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:24 AM

Good info, thanks for the opinions. I don't deal with mud hardly ever. I had drilled holes in my front fender on my KX 500. I never noticed any difference, but I never over heated it either. I was just hoping for some technical data this site is famous for.

• Croft315

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:35 AM

I've used the Acerbis Tecnik front fender w/ good results on my CRF250R in Texas summer.

Looks like Acerbis is working on more development of vented front fenders and a new vented front number plate designed to put air into the radiators (from pics I saw) of James Stewart's KX450F outdoor national bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.